Should I take the Kaplan diagnostic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychStudent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I decided to sign up for the class in addition to EK (to keep me accountable and on schedule), and I'm supposed to take the diagnostic this weekend. Only thing is, I'm dreading it because I haven't reviewed gen chem or physics yet, and I haven't even taken orgo or bio yet (just started them). Should I just take it even though I'm bound to do terribly because it's extra practice? I have been working some on the verbal.

Also, I noticed that this test is shorter than the real MCAT. Is that because there is no writing section? TIA!

Members don't see this ad.

You're supposed to take it without studying everything beforehand. That way you know where you need to improve.

The Diagnostic is just that - it diagnoses your weak areas and lets you know what subjects you should try to really focus on during studying. You're not supposed to do well on it -- it's more of a tool so you can better assess your weaknesses.

I'm sure Kaplan wouldn't want you to study for your diagnostic and get a high score. Then you might not improve as much as they would like to claim.

But really, there is no need to study for it. It is actually a really great tool. Their online features allow you to see what specific sections you did bad on. For example, you can see that did well on circuits in PS, but scored poorly on optics. You will gain a lot of info about your abilities from the diagnostic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks everyone, I'm going to go ahead and take it. But in the biological sciences section, what am I supposed to do if I haven't had orgo or bio yet? I didn't take AP bio in HS either. Am I going to understand anything? Thanks!

if you havent taken bio or ochem, the course will be a good class in conjunction with your other classes to prepare you to introductory bio/ochem (although i think the workload might be a bit high...especially ochem).

you won't understand anything if you don't read before class. and considering the MCAT is more of a review than a course substitute, you will have to work a little harder to get something out of it.

If you haven't taken Bio or Orgo, that section of the test will look like a foreign language!

Not dissuading you from taking the test, or the class, however, just be prepared to see a really low score in that section. As a Kaplan instructor, sometimes students take very seriously if they get a low score on that first test. But you will totally improve the more you work on it! So don't be discouraged!

Are you planning on taking Bio or Orgo before you actually sit for the MCAT?

Also, it is shorter because there is no writing section, plus I believe it is a slightly abbreviated test period. I am having a hard time remember, I know officially the test went from like 70 questions to 52, but I think the Kaplan diagnostic is down to like 40ish...

Sorry for the rounding... But it is shorter.