Should I take the MCAT 2015?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

warriorinthemaking

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I know you're probably tired of all these questions, but I've thought a lot about this and I just wanted to know someone else's opinion on my specific situation. The original plan was to study like hell until January and take the old MCAT while the psychology/sociology/biochem is not part of it, since I have no real background in those. The thing is, I don't have a background in Physics/Orgo either.

I am taking Physics 1, Orgo 1, Cancer Bio, Med Terminology, Phys Lab at the moment, however. This makes for a pretty full schedule so I don't know if trying to go after the 2015 now and having a few extra months (and tries, in case I don't do so well) might be better than trying to read Berkeley Review and EK Bio to learn Physics and Organic Chemistry in three months before the January exam, possibly do bad on it, and not be able to retake for schools to compare a new score to.

It pretty much has to be done this year, since I'm graduating next year. Unless I take a gap year...

What is your take on this? Maybe I am underestimating just how difficult the new test will be? What would you do in my situation?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd take old MCAT if possible.

Self-study the stuff you don't know. Orgo is barely covered and when it is, it's basic.

Physics II stuff can be tricky but self-study-able.

The amount of stuff on the new mcat is redic.

You want to maximize your chances at a high GPA and a high MCAT score. Do whatever it takes to achieve it. Judging from my trial section, I thought it was very easy (all Psych and Sociology).

You do NOT want to be studying for the MCAT while taking 3-4 science classes, though. Some can pull it off, but not many. Also, reading is NOT going to help you do well on it. You must be actively doing practice problems and practice passages. If all you do is read and take notes and read, you're not going to do well.

If you feel like you can study an average of about 20 hours a week during your semester/quarter and then intensify that over your winter break then I believe it's possible. Most of the classes you're taking will help you with the MCAT and you're MCAT studying will help you with those classes so that's a very nice complement. Cancer bio may help, but it sounds like a higher level class so maybe only marginally.

If you think you can get good grades for the remaining of the semester/quarter and study a fair amount during any given week then I think you should start immediately. The new MCAT is going to bring along a large amount of additional headaches than just how to balance school and studying schedules. Again, because I think your class schedule complements a large portion of the MCAT that you should pull the trigger now.

Cheers!