Should I take the MCAT a 3rd Time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IntoTheWest

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am wondering if I should post-pone applying this coming cycle to retake the MCAT a third time and apply next year instead. My previous scores have been:

9/10 - 8 V, 10 PS, 10 BS, P
3/11 - 6 V, 12 PS, 10 BS, M

Although I feel like a 6 VR was on my low end, I am a really bad judge at determining how I do in this section. I am scared if I do take the MCAT again I will get another 6 VR which would look even worse. I sort of feel like I am playing Russian Roulette and hoping that my Verbal section will be higher but to be completely honest I never have any idea how I do in this section.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I am wondering if I should post-pone applying this coming cycle to retake the MCAT a third time and apply next year instead. My previous scores have been:

9/10 - 8 V, 10 PS, 10 BS, P
3/11 - 6 V, 12 PS, 10 BS, M

Although I feel like a 6 VR was on my low end, I am a really bad judge at determining how I do in this section. I am scared if I do take the MCAT again I will get another 6 VR which would look even worse. I sort of feel like I am playing Russian Roulette and hoping that my Verbal section will be higher but to be completely honest I never have any idea how I do in this section.

I'm just wondering if English is your native language.

Have you done all the passages from TPR/AAMC/EK that you could get your hands on...

For verbal time is everything.. I got a 11 on it from my first diag of 7 because I got the timing right.. The passages aren't hard if you just read to understand the main idea. And only give yourself 8 min per passage. So when you go in to take the test write down 60-52-44 etc.. that way you can refer to this during the test, as there are passages that might take 3-4 more more min, but not many of them will.

Your retake has basically forced you into either applying only to schools that take the highest sub-score per section (not sure which MD schools do this, I think some DO schools will) or retaking. That 6 in verbal, especially since it's a drop, will be a HUGE setback at most schools.