should i take the mcat again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChronicRain

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, everyone,
I'm having a bit of a dilemma right now, and would like some advice from all of you guys. here's the situation:
I've take MCAT about a year ago and gotten a 31O (P 13, V 8, B 10), with my crappy GPA at 3.2 ish, I was fortunate enough to get into EVMS SMP program. I've been meaning to take the MCAT again and signed up for one on May 27th (which is about 13 days away). I've been studying for it inconsistently throughout the year, but have NOT touched it for about a month now due to school and graduation and of course laziness.
Now only 13 days away, I'm don't feel like I'm ready for it at all, so I'm really debating whether I should take this one since I probably don't need it to get into EVMS because I just have to do good in the SMP, and if I do bad on the MCAT this time, it would acutally hurt my chances of gettin into EVMS.
But maybe if I study REALLY hard for 10 days, I could bring up my score a little, I was hoping for a 35 or something. Will that increase my chance of gettin into medical school besides EVMS?
Please give me your thoughts, ASAP :eek:
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Don't do it unless you're comfortable. You don't want to tank it. Make sure you are scoring 35 on practice tests before you take it.

Don't do it unless you're comfortable. You don't want to tank it. Make sure you are scoring 35 on practice tests before you take it.
the pressing question is should i put my balls to the wall and study for it or should i just forget and enjoy the precious free time before EVMS

Members don't see this ad :)
No offense (my GPA is worse), but with a 3.2 you're definitely more in the camp of trying to get in anywhere instead of having a lot of options. It's 10 days of your life that could substantially change your future - I say go for it and if you don't get your average scores up to a high mark then cancel your exam seat.

the pressing question is should i put my balls to the wall and study for it or should i just forget and enjoy the precious free time before EVMS

If you are in at EVMS then you are aware that graduates from their SMP pretty much ONLY go to EVMS. So if you intend to attend the EVMS SMP then DO NOT take the MCAT. You can only lose!

All EVMS looks at when deciding whether or not to take you into their medical school post-SMP is your GPA there. If something happens and you don't get in to EVMS Med, then consider retaking the MCAT. After the SMP your Bio section, and verbal will go up...

your mcat score won't be hurting your chances at med school. i vote to not retake.

Considering the SMP you are going to I would vote not to retake. You have a seat waiting for you in EVMS class of 2013. If you keep it it´s going to be because of your performance in the SMP, not your performance on an MCAT retake.

Also, yeah, with a 3.2 I don´t think much of anything is going to increase your chances of getting into a school other than EVMS (or at least better than EVMS, you might be able to go to the very worst DO school out there, but why would you want to?).

Considering the SMP you are going to I would vote not to retake. You have a seat waiting for you in EVMS class of 2013. If you keep it it´s going to be because of your performance in the SMP, not your performance on an MCAT retake.

Also, yeah, with a 3.2 I don´t think much of anything is going to increase your chances of getting into a school other than EVMS (or at least better than EVMS, you might be able to go to the very worst DO school out there, but why would you want to?).
Because you can still be a doctor?

...Also, yeah, with a 3.2 I don´t think much of anything is going to increase your chances of getting into a school other than EVMS...

oh thank you for the support LOL
but ya, i think you guys are right, i guess a few more points on my MCAT won't be help that much if at all on my chances of gettin into another med school thanks to my awesome GPA. I guess i won't be studying for my MCAT anymore, yay, too bad I couldn't cancel it. guess I'll just take it for fun, and party in the mean time :hardy: