Should I take the MCAT during the spring or summer of my application year if I will be taking biochemistry and organic chemistry II that same spring?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted937918

I am currently an incoming undergraduate junior and will be applying during the summer of 2020 to enter medical school in 2021. I am taking Physics 2 and Organic Chemistry 1 during the Fall 2019 Semester and Organic Chemistry 2 and Biochemistry during the Spring 2020 semester. I've heard that I should take the MCAT no later than April so that I can get my scores back as early as possible. My only concern is that I will not be completely finished with those Spring 2020 classes before I take the MCAT. I'm having a hard time between waiting until May or even June to take the MCAT. I would like to get my score as early as possible, but I would also like to only take the test when I am actually prepared.

Outside of my two sciences each semester of my junior year, I am taking a VERY easy courseload. This will hopefully allow me time to study for the MCAT over two semesters. I realize that this isn't the normal approach to studying for the MCAT, but I'm hoping that the extra time will allow me to do better. If I'm taking the MCAT in April, I will try to teach myself and get ahead in Organic Chemistry II and Biochemistry.

When do you recommend I take the test? I don't know if it is realistic to expect to do well if I take the test before being totally done with all of the recommended classes. It would also be helpful if someone gave me a very short summary of what to expect as a timeline of next summer. I've read a lot of resources online, but there are so much information and different advice that I'm having a difficult time condensing it all.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am currently an incoming undergraduate junior and will be applying during the summer of 2020 to enter medical school in 2021. I am taking Physics 2 and Organic Chemistry 1 during the Fall 2019 Semester and Organic Chemistry 2 and Biochemistry during the Spring 2020 semester. I've heard that I should take the MCAT no later than April so that I can get my scores back as early as possible. My only concern is that I will not be completely finished with those Spring 2020 classes before I take the MCAT. I'm having a hard time between waiting until May or even June to take the MCAT. I would like to get my score as early as possible, but I would also like to only take the test when I am actually prepared.

Outside of my two sciences each semester of my junior year, I am taking a VERY easy courseload. This will hopefully allow me time to study for the MCAT over two semesters. I realize that this isn't the normal approach to studying for the MCAT, but I'm hoping that the extra time will allow me to do better. If I'm taking the MCAT in April, I will try to teach myself and get ahead in Organic Chemistry II and Biochemistry.

When do you recommend I take the test?

You should take test only when you're scoring within your target range on official AAMC full-length practice tests. If you can get to that point by April, great. If not, you'll need to be prepared to push it back.

It is better to delay your MCAT and your application cycle than apply with a poor score and a retake.

Reactions: 1 user

When do you recommend I take the test? I don't know if it is realistic to expect to do well if I take the test before being totally done with all of the recommended classes. It would also be helpful if someone gave me a very short summary of what to expect as a timeline of next summer. I've read a lot of resources online, but there are so much information and different advice that I'm having a difficult time condensing it all.
I was in the same exact situation as you. I took organic chemistry 2 and Biochemistry this past spring and took a summer MCAT. If I were you I would suggest definitely finish both those courses before taking your MCAT. Particularly Biochemistry, since knowing biochemistry concepts helped me ALOT on my exam. Organic chemistry two is low yield on the MCAT imo, however taking organic chemistry 2 helps reinforce orgo 1 concepts (chirality/pka/etc.) which are very important for the MCAT. It would definitely be beneficial to completely finish both those classes before you decide to sit for your test, however you also could just get kaplan books and simultaneously study concepts you will not get to before your exam while learning the necessary curriculum in class. Just make sure you get ALOT of time with the AAMC material when you get to a comfortable spot with content.

I planned on sitting for a late April MCAT to get the test scored in adequate time to apply this cycle. I successively pushed it off until August 3rd (last Saturday) if thats any indicator. Most important thing is to take it when you are ready so you do not rush it and score <500 and shoot yourself in the foot... I am also a slow learner so maybe you will be able to be ready by that time :unsure: best of luck!

Last edited:

This all depends on your test-taking ability, and what kind of score you are going for. For me, this would not have been ideal, because I needed quite a bit of time to prep for the MCAT, but I know others are great at tests and don't need to prepare as much. The good news is, there are some really great question banks out there for the MCAT which help you basically learn all of the material you need to know. I forgot pretty much all of my physics and was able to learn most of the concepts off practice tests alone. If you are EXTREMELY diligent, I bet you can get ready for it. Definitely take at least 4-5 full-length practice tests and get some good data on what you are capable of scoring before you take the test.