Should I take the MCAT if I haven't finished all the prerequisites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medseeker2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to take the MCAT a year from now and by then I will have finished Bio 1&2, Physics 1&2, Chem 1&2, and will be in the process of taking orgo 1. I also want to buy PR prep course. Should I take it or will I not be prepared enough?

Members don't see this ad.

You probably won't be prepared enough since the MCAT you'll be taking also includes biochemistry, sociology and psychology on it

Reactions: 1 user
You probably won't be prepared enough since the MCAT you'll be taking also includes biochemistry, sociology and psychology on it

I've already taken psychology and sociology, I'm just worried about not having org 2 or biochem...

Members don't see this ad :)
Well on the current MCAT the vast majority of the organic chem tested was from Ochem 1, but there's no telling whether Ochem 2 will become critical on the new exam, and I certainly would take biochem before the MCAT 2015. Really you should wait a while and ask this question again in fall after there have been a few rounds of the new exam

Well on the current MCAT the vast majority of the organic chem tested was from Ochem 1, but there's no telling whether Ochem 2 will become critical on the new exam, and I certainly would take biochem before the MCAT 2015. Really you should wait a while and ask this question again in fall after there have been a few rounds of the new exam

When should I take it then? Biochem is the last class I have to take to get me degree. By then I should have already applied so I don't know when to take it.

Study with review books first.
Then take AMCAS practice tests and assess your performance.

If you do fine, take it before summer.

If you don't do fine, DON'T take the MCAT and DON'T apply this cycle. You will need to keep studying until you can do well on the AMCAS practice tests.

I wouldn't take the MCAT without at least having Orgo 1 and 2 under my belt, along with all the usual med school prerequisites. I'm not going to have biochemistry done either by the time I take the MCAT but I'm hoping I'll be able to self-study for it. Whether I take it or not will depend on how I'm doing on practice tests. If you're doing well on those, then by all means go for it.

Also, have you considered taking classes over the summer to speed up your progress? Orgo is a great class to tackle in the summer.

I wouldn't take the MCAT without at least having Orgo 1 and 2 under my belt, along with all the usual med school prerequisites. I'm not going to have biochemistry done either by the time I take the MCAT but I'm hoping I'll be able to self-study for it. Whether I take it or not will depend on how I'm doing on practice tests. If you're doing well on those, then by all means go for it.

Also, have you considered taking classes over the summer to speed up your progress? Orgo is a great class to tackle in the summer.

unfortunately my school usually provides org 1 during the summer in an accelerated 6 week course. I don't know if I want to take it in such a rushed way.

When should I take it then? Biochem is the last class I have to take to get me degree. By then I should have already applied so I don't know when to take it.

How will you be satisfying med school requirements for one year of organic chemistry with only Ochem 1 before you graduate?

You said you plan to take it a year from now (Winter break of 2016) so you can read all about people's experiences with the new MCAT in late summer/early fall and then decide how to appropriately prepare during the fall semester/break.

Personally I think prereqs are not really that helpful for MCAT prep, you study via a very shallow review of many topics and excessive practice provided in review books. It's preferable to have Ochem 2 and Biochem courses beforehand, but you'd be fine just using review books if you had to.

My friend and I took two seperate test dates this month and most organic was from organic 2. Neither of us have taken it and that sucked a lot. Especially since they're adding biochemistry, please wait if you can.

Probably not, but AAMC practice test scores rule. Take MCAT when they consistently say you are ready and not a second before that. If AAMC practice test scores say you are ready consistently, then take the real test.

As to whether or not you will be prepared, no one can tell you for sure. If you are exceptional at the subjects you haven't formally taken yet, then you might be okay. If not, probably not. I took the MCAT before taking biology 3 (on a trimester system, so I had less than one year of biology) and scored a 12! So never say never, but do know your strengths and weaknesses.