Should I take the MCAT in 4 days?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ktwang

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This will be my second time taking the MCAT. I took the old MCAT in 2014 and got a 27 (10/8/9). Went ahead and applied in the 2015-2016 cycle with only one II.

I'm aiming for 510+ but I scored 506 on all three of the AAMC practice tests.
AAMC Sample: 80%, 72%, 75%, 71%
AAMC Scored 1: (506) 127/124/128/127
AAMC Scored 2: (506) 129/123/127/127

Should I risk it and take the test in 4 days or should I push it back? How do I improve my CARS score? English is my second language as I immigrated here in high school, but that shouldn't be an excuse.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're not hitting your target score, don't take it.

Reactions: 10 users
This will be my second time taking the MCAT. I took the old MCAT in 2014 and got a 27 (10/8/9). Went ahead and applied in the 2015-2016 cycle with only one II.

Should I risk it and take the test in 4 days or should I push it back? How do I improve my CARS score? English is my second language as I immigrated here in high school, but that shouldn't be an excuse.

At this point, it is my understanding that you will not be able to cancel in time to get your refund. I'd go ahead and take it, and void it at the end and use it as a practice.

While the verbal section is difficult for even native speakers, you have to find a way. Use the search button of this forum. Sub 125 just ain't gonna cut it. Need at least a 126, assuming the rest of your sections hold up at a 127 level for US MD.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The AAMC tests are very accurate in predicting test scores. Based on your AAMC test scores, you will probably score around 506. It is unlikely that you will jump 4 points on test day. I would recommend that you post-pone the test until you are hitting your target score.

What resources have you used for CARS? Try reading WSJ, NYT, etc. Do lots and lots of practice problems.

Reactions: 1 users
Taking a career-deciding, high stakes exam when you're not ready brings your judgement into question. Why would you do this????

Reactions: 6 users
If you can find some resources about rhetoric, maybe a section in your English textbook, that helped me the most with my CARs section.

If you're already registered with 4 days left until your test, then you already passed the deadline to cancel it or reschedule it from online. Your only three options are 1) take it 2) don't show up and have it voided or 3) take it and void it at the end.

Reactions: 1 user
When did you take the AAMC tests? Was it a month ago or one week before this? My AAMC test scores were a close predictor to the real score, I think I got two points higher than what I expected and I took my last exam two weeks before the real test. I don't suggest that you take it in 4 days if you're not hitting your goals on the practice tests. Besides, you can sign up for the MCAT in the upcoming months and you can still apply to the next cycle without having a late MCAT score (and possibly a higher score).

I struggled with CARS and scored 70 percentile the first time I tried, but it went up to 87 percentile the second time with lots of dedicated practice. The technique that I used was to summarize what I've read. After every paragraph that I read, I took ten seconds to think about the main point and to state it in my own words before moving on to the next paragraph. I felt slow in the beginning but after awhile it became second nature and I answered the questions much quicker without having to really go back to the passage. Try it out next time to see if it helps. English was also my second language.

Thanks for everyone's response! I'll try to find a seat in April. It's going to be a problem in California, but there's no other better option.

@NucleusO I took the two AAMC tests this past week, so it's pretty recent. I'll definitely try your strategy next time. Thank you so much for your encouragement :)

Should I risk it and take the test in 4 days or should I push it back?

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!

If you are going for MD, aim lower tier and expect ~ 506. But don't be surprised if you find yourself waitlisted/ denied. If you don't care about the two letters after your name and will take an acceptance at a DO school, you could expect a more interviews and potential acceptances.

edit: grammar

Heck no.

As to CARS, I'd recommend Examkrackers verbal 101 and the CARS practice questions in the MCAT practice tests. I also used examkrackers' test prep books and scored pretty well when I took the MCAT last year. Khan academy is also awesome (and free).