Should I take the W...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DopamineNYC

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far, I only have one W (from my first semester in undergrad) in an intro econ class which I ended up retaking (and received an A). Im currently in my last semester and I've been overloaded with research, volunteering, etc and I am not sure about this upper level bio elective. Realistically, I think I am looking at a B+ or A- (at the best case scenario). I just want to take the W and save myself some time and not think about the grade etc... If I take the W, how bad would it look?

Members don't see this ad.

Let me get this straight - your options are either a W or at worst a B+? Why do you think a W will look better than a B+?

If I put in a lot more effort I think a B+ is do-able, but being that the grade is just the avg of three tests, it can also go lower than the B+. I'm not saying that a B+ is the worst case scenario.

Members don't see this ad :)
So far, I only have one W (from my first semester in undergrad) in an intro econ class which I ended up retaking (and received an A). Im currently in my last semester and I've been overloaded with research, volunteering, etc and I am not sure about this upper level bio elective. Realistically, I think I am looking at a B+ or A- (at the best case scenario). I just want to take the W and save myself some time and not think about the grade etc... If I take the W, how bad would it look?
I personally wouldn't take a W if you're going to get above a C in a class. Take the hit that you've been very busy but only you can make this decision. Also if you take a W, do you have to stay and complete another elective for your required hours? If you already meet all the requirements to graduate then I'd say just do your best

Taking a W in this case would be more problematic to explain than a B- or a C.
It absolutely wouldn't if the reason for it was necessary (being overcommitted) and that this isn't some sort of trend. But see above

Stick it out, don't you have like 4 weeks left?

Reactions: 1 user
Stick it out, don't you have like 4 weeks left?

More like 2 months for me... but I also want to spend the extra time for studying for the MCAT. If I do take the W, would that be a big red flag??

More like 2 months for me... but I also want to spend the extra time for studying for the MCAT. If I do take the W, would that be a big red flag??

No, it wouldn't be a big red flag. Truthfully, your decision here is going to have very little direct impact on your medical school application. Residual impacts (MCAT study time, having to retake the class, potentially needing to stay an extra semester and thus taking a pseudo gap year) would be of more concern. But on the whole, this is not going to affect your application very much either way. I personally think it would be silly to take a W over a B to try to protect your GPA.

Some secondaries (hell, even sometimes at interviews!!) ask you to explain your W's and why you have them. You getting a B (generalizing) is NOT a good reason.