Medical Should I take this research opportunity even if it's outside of medicine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
I'm a premed with every intention to go to medical school. My major is Psychology.

I have recently been given the opportunity to do some research in Psych. Specifically criminal psychology and the validity of criminal photo-arrays. I really think that this research is interesting and I'd love to be part of it.

Let me be clear: **I have no interest to work in law/legal things.** Medicine always will be my end goal. This is just a really interesting topic that I would like to research.

If I took this opportunity, would medical schools raise a questionable eyebrow at me during the admissions process? Would they think that medicine was a backup for me? Would this research even help me, or would it be a waste of time?

Thanks

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
They will only question the matter if you request an admissions deferral for it. If not, indulge yourself in your academic interests. You'd be surprised at where some of the supposedly 'not medically related' investigations lead in terms of career options. I knew quite a number of MD's who were in the business school before that was a popular option because they had family in the business and were screwed by administrators. Now, it's a fashion.

Status
Not open for further replies.