Should I take upper bio classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jv00927

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I take upper bio classes for the MCAT? I have read many threads that said genetics, physiology and cell biology helped tremendously on the MCAT. But I have also read that you only need the pre-reqs. I'm a little bit confused. :confused: I don't mind taking those classes if it would increase my chances of getting a higher MCAT score but if the benefits are not really that substantial, I would rather take humanities classes and other classes I wouldn't be able to take in med school. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

jv00927 said:
Should I take upper bio classes for the MCAT? I have read many threads that said genetics, physiology and cell biology helped tremendously on the MCAT. But I have also read that you only need the pre-reqs. I'm a little bit confused. :confused: I don't mind taking those classes if it would increase my chances of getting a higher MCAT score but if the benefits are not really that substantial, I would rather take humanities classes and other classes I wouldn't be able to take in med school. Any suggestions?

I would say that physiology and genetics helped me tremendously with the MCAT. By saying that, I don't mean that the MCAT was full of these topics, but by having background experience from classes, I had 100% more confidence!! There are so many details in genetics and physiology that it can be quite overwhelming when studying and trying to condense for the MCAT. Also, on the passages, all the background info will likely be there, but if you already know it, you can skim skim skim.My advice would be to try to slip one of those classes in your schedule. Enjoy all the humanities you can too. Those classes are WONDERFUL!