Should I take Upper Level Classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rettoric

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently planning to be a Comp Sci major and am taking the basic pre med classes. I just finished my freshman year with a 3.8 taking the basic Bio/Chem/Calc/Comp Sci. I'm planning on taking Orgo and Physics next year as well as some upper level Comp Sci classes. However I did the math and I'll have around 12-14 credits to spare towards my degree after completing the Comp Sci, Pre med, and general requirements for my school. My question is should I take some upper level life science classes such as (Physio, Molbio, Biochem) in order to prep for the MCAT or stick to the barebones pre reqs and study on my own?

The reason I'm so hesitant is that Comp Sci classes are hard even though I enjoy them and I worry that if I take two upper level comp sci classes a semester with upper level bio classes it might hurt my GPA?

Basically do you think upper level science classes are worth taking if it risks lowering my GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

There are students in medical school who were non-science majors. You do not have to take upper division bio courses if you do not want to unless it's specifically required by a particular med school (check msar). Just get the best GPA you can and do well on the pre reqs and the MCAT. If you want to take some upper division bio courses for personal enrichment go for it otherwise you are not obligated to.