Medical Should I talk about being a patient in personal statement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi from everything I have read and seen before I see that some people do talk about their med school personal experiences as a patient with anecdotes usually about a surgery or procedure. As a person with PCOS I am motivated and thankful for the positive experiences I have had with my doctors I have had in managing symptoms, as many others often get misdiagnosed for years and don't get the support they need. However, I am not sure if this is appropriate to discuss in my personal statement and if this will instead get viewed as a negative aspect of my application. Thanks for the input!
I feel like this is fair to talk about if it has shaped why you want to be a physician.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

That’s fine. It’s personal and it’s genuine.

I would definitely make sure you say that you were first thankful and that it inspired you to want to pursue a career where you could be the one to participate in a patients longitudinal care.

I agree, but I also will make some suggestions.

Obviously you are free to disclose whatever you want about your own medical history; HIPPA does not apply to the patient's disclosures if volunteered.

When I advised students with their PS who wanted to write about their own or a family member's medical history, I always suggested that you make the focus more on the doctors you worked with rather than you. Make it about who inspired you to become a physician rather than dwell on your own illness.

Status
Not open for further replies.