Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Should I talk about personal background in interview? How much is too much?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by LionDDS, Sep 5, 2014.

1. LionDDS

Pre-Dental
    I've already been to one interview. This will be my second in a few weeks. Ive been scouring this forum for advice and this is my first post.

I'm a former D1 athlete and ADCOMS have asked me a lot of questions about my background. I talked about me being gay and coming out to my team as a pivotal life event. The response I got was kind of off putting. I am just wondering if I should hold this back in interviews? And also is it going to be a big deal in dental school?

I'd appreciate anyone with any type of advice to let to me know.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ayados16

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I'm very sorry to hear that. What exactly was their response? Did you feel as though they were uncomfortable with your sexual orientation in general or just with that particular story?

4. pwr_wrx

I think its better to leave that out. I know that interviewers are not legally allowed to ask things like sexual preference, religion, weight, etc. Those can be shared voluntarily though but in most cases I don't see what they have to do with the interview. If you think it might be taken the wrong way, its better to bring up something else that will catch their eye in a more positive manner.

5. LionDDS

Pre-Dental
    They just said to talk about a personal challenge and how I overcame it... and I just figured this was the most powerful response I could come up with. And I thought it was sincere too.

6. LionDDS

Pre-Dental
    Just an "ok" response from them

7. pwr_wrx

It makes sense in that case. Maybe they were shocked at how well you overcame your personal challenge? You never know what was going on in their head.

hannah_hoac likes this.
  8. LionDDS

Pre-Dental
    I thought about that. but of course I come back to the worst case scenario.

9. pwr_wrx

You did the best you can do, its time to sit back and wait!

10. ayados16

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I agree with what @pwr_wrx said. It may not have been as negative as it seemed. Maybe they were just overwhelmed and didn't know exactly what to say in response? However, if you're worried about similar responses from future interviews it's probably better that you omit that information. You'll do your best when you're most comfortable. Also I don't think this would be an issue during dental school, especially if you go to a school in a less conservative area. I'm not a current dental student so I wouldn't know for sure, but I'd imagine the experience would be relatively similar to how it was for you in undergrad.

11. LionDDS

Pre-Dental
    Yeah, I agree.

12. .

#11 SXCoronado, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2015
  13. LionDDS

Pre-Dental
    Eh , maybe. I'm sure. But I have five interview invites so far. I'm just going to tell my story and I will get in somewhere with it. Its an experience that is important to my personal growth. I'm going to break the mold wherever I go.

Member 6236 likes this.
  14. CraigHack

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    In my opinion, that's a very reasonable answer to the question. There may be two forces at play here though:

1. If your interviewer is uncomfortable with your lifestyle, or disagrees with it. That obviously is going to be an issue.

2. Your interviewer probably didn't play a D1 sport, so he/she may not understand team dynamics, and why that event would be a big deal, even if they don't have a problem with the topic.

Personally, I'd keep using that answer if I felt it was the best one. When you talk about something you're passionate about, the listener can usually pick up on that. If you have a different answer that you feel compelled by as well, then sure, roll with that, but it's a personal call you'll have to make. I don't expect it to make or break your admission chances.

15. LionDDS

Pre-Dental