Should I talk about the fact that I rap and produce music in my interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YoungMoneyMint

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started rapping and producing hip-hop songs a few months back, and it's definitely one of my favorite hobbies now. I posted a while back about mentioning in my med school apps that I'm a SoundCloud rapper (which I decided against.) However, I'm now debating about whether I should bring it up to my student interviewers.

This is an example of a song that I made recently (I bought the beat, but I did the mixing/rapping):

Should I show adcoms/student interviewers the music that I produce, or just allude to it?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd probably remove this to preserve your anonymity but I think its perfectly fine to mention it if someone asks about your hobbies.

Reactions: 1 user
This is something that most admissions committee members would love to hear (except for a few who may have preconceived biases) about when they ask "tell me about yourself" or "what do you do for fun." Having an answer that isn't "I like to hang out with my friends" will make you stand out and something like this will definitely make you a memorable applicant to whoever interviews you!

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user
I started rapping and producing hip-hop songs a few months back, and it's definitely one of my favorite hobbies now. I posted a while back about mentioning in my med school apps that I'm a SoundCloud rapper (which I decided against.) However, I'm now debating about whether I should bring it up to my student interviewers.

This is an example of a song that I made recently (I bought the beat, but I did the mixing/rapping):

Should I show adcoms/student interviewers the music that I produce, or just allude to it?

Do NOT show, just tell.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users