Should I talk about this at my next interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhyNOT111

USC Dentistry 2013
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The reason I'm asking is because at my last interview I don't think the interviewer was pleased with it. He either thought I was B.S.ing him which I doubt because my file was right infront of him.
But over all he was looking at me all weird...

This is what I want them to know. To me its a big accomplishment, a little over board, but hey I did it. NOW WHAT?

I completed over 100 units in a year and a half (Summer-Fall-Winter-Spring-Summer-Fall) and at more than one college of course. and the cumilative GPA for this 100 units is 3.7

whenever I talk about this people automatically assume BS.

That's why I don't know if I should talk about it at my next interview, im not as worried about the BS part because everything is on my transcripts. But do they care?

They should right? Heavy course load is a good thing to show for D school, NO?

Members don't see this ad.

it doesn't seem too outrageous. For 6 semesters, it averages out to be 16.67 credits per semester. It's def. not easy but not impossible. I don't see why the interviewer had a problem. It might be unbelievable if you took 100 credits of science but if you padded your semesters with ECs then it's believable.

Did you bring it up to show that you are capable of handling a large courseload? Or did the interviewer bring it up in disbelief? & Obviously, the transcripts won't lie.

it doesn't seem too outrageous. For 6 semesters, it averages out to be 16.67 credits per semester. It's def. not easy but not impossible. I don't see why the interviewer had a problem. It might be unbelievable if you took 100 credits of science but if you padded your semesters with ECs then it's believable.

Did you bring it up to show that you are capable of handling a large courseload? Or did the interviewer bring it up in disbelief? & Obviously, the transcripts won't lie.

yeah true. and no, only about little over half are science the other half are independent research and general electives, etc.

and I brought it up, but he was looking at me like "that means nothing"...

which actually does.

and in theory yes, 16.67 per semester but during one summer i only took 1 course. and during winters 2 courses each.

so it was more like 15 in winters. 15 in summers. and 25 units each regular length semesters...

Members don't see this ad :)
Well IMO... the interviewer sounds stupid. Everyone has different things they are proud of....whether or not someone else sees it as a "great accomplishment" is all relative... but if you have a good enough explanation then I don't see the problem.

Perhaps you shoudl run your interview Q and A by a friend. I did that. I know that often you have an idea of what you want to say in your head... but if you don't express it correctly ... it could greatly sway the way a person perceives what you say to them. Just try it to be sure you are meaning to say what you say... and that you say exactly waht you mean. Maybe state your answer to a friend... and let them tell you how they percieved what you told htem... and then tell them what you actually meant to say.. and then go from there in constructing a more solid response? helped me.

But perhaps your problems is not in the way you represented yourself but in the interviewer.
If you said it without it sounding weird then I think the interviewer needs to get off his high horse adn understand people are different.

Well IMO... the interviewer sounds stupid. Everyone has different things they are proud of....whether or not someone else sees it as a "great accomplishment" is all relative... but if you have a good enough explanation then I don't see the problem.

Perhaps you shoudl run your interview Q and A by a friend. I did that. I know that often you have an idea of what you want to say in your head... but if you don't express it correctly ... it could greatly sway the way a person perceives what you say to them. Just try it to be sure you are meaning to say what you say... and that you say exactly waht you mean. Maybe state your answer to a friend... and let them tell you how they percieved what you told htem... and then tell them what you actually meant to say.. and then go from there in constructing a more solid response? helped me.

But perhaps your problems is not in the way you represented yourself but in the interviewer.
If you said it without it sounding weird then I think the interviewer needs to get off his high horse adn understand people are different.

Thank you for the great advice. I will def do that...

I think you'd be better off emphasizing that you took 25+ units during the regular year (even though research units are pretty much unit padding ;] ) than you would be with the generalization of 100 units in 1.5 years. They'll see you took summer quarters, and it won't be as impressive.