1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Should I tell medical schools about this?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by flodhi1, Aug 17, 2011.

1. flodhi1

Removed 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I took my MCAT in May and got done with my entire application in the first week of July. I had submitted most of my secondaries in Late July and Early August. My GPA is pretty low <3.3 and my MCAT score is average 29 N
    I am a non traditional student so I'm currently done with school. However, a lot of medical schools asked me on the secondary what I was going to do in between the year. I told them I was going to continue volunteering at the clinic and tutoring. However, recently I decided to get enrolled in a post bacc program (2 weeks ago). I am going to pursue a Masters in Physiology in between the one year gap.
    SHOULD I TELL MEDICAL SCHOOLS ABOUT THIS? as in should I update them that I enrolled into a post bacc program. Now this could be taken in two ways. One way is that they could be happy and think that okay this guy is continuing his education and staying academically active. However, they could also take it as you know what let this guy finish the masters program. let's see what his grades are since he already has a low GPA and we will have him reapply next year. I've already received 4 rejections, 1 interview and 2 possible interviews (no guarantee though) out of the 20 secondaries I have already completed.
    What should I do!?
    EDIT:- My main concern is that will this status update actually make a difference this cycle as in you know push me from possible interviews to an actual interview or is that unlikely? :confused:

#1 flodhi1, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. tman5890

tman5890 Fiery Devotion
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    It's not possible to enroll in the masters and continue volunteering/tutoring? I'd say if it is, to do that and update them about it. :)

4. isoquin

isoquin Allopathetic
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think it's beneficial. If for any reason you don't get accepted this year, you have a stronger background with a Masters in Physiology compared to obligatory light volunteering experience. It also means you can update them again near January with grades.

I don't think people are going to hold back on interviews to wait for you to complete the program anymore than I would expect programs to do the same to college seniors.

best of luck!

5. flodhi1

Removed 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks to everyone for responding. I agree it would help me next year because I will have a Masters but do you think this "update" would push me from re-reviews and possible interviews to actually getting an interview? or do you think this update doesn't really have much significance this cycle?

6. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Up-date at the end of the term when you have some grades to report. By then, most schools will still have some interview invites and you'll have a gpa to report that really "up-dates" your file. It could push you over the edge into "interview" territory.

7. flodhi1

Removed 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thank you! that makes perfect sense. :thumbup: