Should I tell my HPSP recruiter about my disciplinary record?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sean Lee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just had my first meeting with my HPSP recruiter (I am applying for 2015 matriculation, so starting early!), and she seems to be a nice and knowledgeable person. She asked me if I have any criminal/law violations, and I truthfully answered "no"; I've never been arrested or cited or ticketed for anything in my life, so that part's easy.

However, I did receive a disciplinary probation (not related to anything legal - no police involvement) in college, and I am wondering if I should proactively tell my recruiter? If she asks about it anywhere in the application, I'll disclose it, but if she's not going to ask and the application doesn't care about disciplinary incidents, then I have no reason/obligation to disclose it, right?

I would greatly appreciate feedback from successful HPSP applicants. My stats (3.5+, 33) are competitive for the scholarship, and I don't want any nasty surprises along the way.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

More details might help. Vague questions are hard to answer.

My initial reaction is that I wouldn't say anything. Nobody really cares what some extralegal kangaroo college court does off the record. If it's on your transcript somewhere it'll come up eventually.

Answer direct questions on the application truthfully and completely.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with pgg

Agree with pgg as well. If it didn't involve the legal system, I doubt the military will care about most issues that stayed in the college. At most, you're only going to add more paperwork/hoops to jump through for yourself

More details might help. Vague questions are hard to answer.

My initial reaction is that I wouldn't say anything. Nobody really cares what some extralegal kangaroo college court does off the record. If it's on your transcript somewhere it'll come up eventually.

Answer direct questions on the application truthfully and completely.

Not on transcript, but the college has an internal record of it.

The only way for the military to find out is for someone to directly ask my college specifically for disciplinary record.

There will likely be a question somewhere on one of the applications that discusses any academic or conduct issues in the past. Just answer it homestly, try not to make a big deal of it, but explain it and discuss what you learned from the situation.

If there isn't a question that relates then no need to self report.

There will likely be a question somewhere on one of the applications that discusses any academic or conduct issues in the past. Just answer it homestly, try not to make a big deal of it, but explain it and discuss what you learned from the situation.

If there isn't a question that relates then no need to self report.

Other than the AMCAS/AACOMAS, I don't think any of the military applications ask for undergraduate disciplinary incidents.

Other than the AMCAS/AACOMAS, I don't think any of the military applications ask for undergraduate disciplinary incidents.
Doesn't HPSP ask for a copy of your AMCAS application? (if for nothing else, to at least confirm that you are in fact applying to medical school and not wasting everybody's time?).

What kind of disciplinary issue are we talking about? If we're talking academic--ie you had a rough freshman year, failed some classes (no cheating, just plain failed)--people tend to be more forgiving of that, especially if you bounce back and get better grades later on.

If we're talking disciplinary action per unprofessional conduct (cheating, stealing) or per "creepiness" (stalking someone, sexual harassment . . . perhaps your school got involved and told you to cut it out, but didn't formally involve the authorities)--then this might be a bigger problem. If the recruiter notes it on your transcript or AMCAS and you failed to bring it up, she'll definitely ask you about it. You could play dumb of course, try to defend it.

Doesn't HPSP ask for a copy of your AMCAS application? (if for nothing else, to at least confirm that you are in fact applying to medical school and not wasting everybody's time?).

What kind of disciplinary issue are we talking about? If we're talking academic--ie you had a rough freshman year, failed some classes (no cheating, just plain failed)--people tend to be more forgiving of that, especially if you bounce back and get better grades later on.

If we're talking disciplinary action per unprofessional conduct (cheating, stealing) or per "creepiness" (stalking someone, sexual harassment . . . perhaps your school got involved and told you to cut it out, but didn't formally involve the authorities)--then this might be a bigger problem. If the recruiter notes it on your transcript or AMCAS and you failed to bring it up, she'll definitely ask you about it. You could play dumb of course, try to defend it.

I asked this question a while ago, and someone who applied to HPSP in the past told me that they never had to provide a copy of the AMCAS.

Regarding the record, I locked myself in the school library because I didn't realize that it was closing hours. My school prohibits anyone from being inside the library after closing hours. I was put on probation.

Regarding the record, I locked myself in the school library because I didn't realize that it was closing hours. My school prohibits anyone from being inside the library after closing hours. I was put on probation.

Oh FFS, that's ridiculous. College kangaroo court indeed. I wouldn't worry about it ever again.

Oh FFS, that's ridiculous. College kangaroo court indeed. I wouldn't worry about it ever again.

It doesn't show up on my transcript. But if they explicitly ask for college disciplinary records, I am leaning towards telling them.

It doesn't show up on my transcript. But if they explicitly ask for college disciplinary records, I am leaning towards telling them.
I think its safe to tell them. Thats a very benign infraction, less than a speeding ticket. Telling them might even show good faith.

My recruiter's great. She emailed me saying that a copy of my AMCAS/AACOMAS application is not needed.

So the military will not know about this disciplinary incident!

I think its safe to tell them. Thats a very benign infraction, less than a speeding ticket. Telling them might even show good faith.
I got a reckless driving ticket a few weeks ago, i am in the middle of applying HPSP. Does this destroy my chances? I have not been to court over it yet, so do I tell my recruiter now or after the court hearing or not at all?

I got a reckless driving ticket a few weeks ago, i am in the middle of applying HPSP. Does this destroy my chances? I have not been to court over it yet, so do I tell my recruiter now or after the court hearing or not at all?
Reckless driving covers a lot of ground. If you plowed through a farmers market and hurt someone, you may have a problem. If you were just pulled over for 26 mph over the limit, odds aren't bad that you +/- a lawyer can get it reduced to a plain old speeding ticket. I wouldn't trouble your recruiter with any information at this point.

@pgg @Gastrapathy : It was for driving too fast. Would i not lose my scholarship for hiding information? I dont think my background check is done with since it takes a while. Would it be harmful telling my recruiter about it?

Again, it's the outcome that matters. There's a difference between a traffic infraction, a misdemeanor, and a felony. You haven't even been charged with anything at this point, right?

If it was just speeding, odds are high that if you show up dressed nicely, with an attorney, that it can get kicked down to a traffic infraction. You'll be out $1000 or so for the lawyer and the fine and that'll be the end of it. Assuming this wasn't the ninth time.

Agree with pgg, and I will add: you should pay whatever it is you need to pay to get it knocked down if you have an otherwise clean record. The last headache you need is explaining the charge every time you apply for credentials for the rest of your life. Just think of it as a bribe, except you get to pay your lawyer.

Okay, to be clear, I have not been awarded the HPSP scholarship yet and I am still undergoing the background check. Does this change anybody's opinion (which seems to be: wait until the trial is over).