Should I tell my mentor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joylabella

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I failed my step 2 in the past and never told my mentor about it. I re-took it and got 88 percentile/ 212 in second attempt. My mentor is my letter writer and I am hoping he will get me an interview in a community based hospital where he is an attending.

My problem now is I don't know what to do about my application coz my last clinical experience was in 2010, and nothing on my CV for last 2 years, plus attempt/ scores 80/88 percentile. I also need visa. I don't know if I will get any interview with this profile and should I apply at all.. i m just being very realistic. I need to talk to my mentor and ask for his advise.. Should I go ahead do it. I am confused becoz he is my only hope and I feel i should put my best side in front of him, for him to ask his program to consider me an interview. At the same time.. how much longer can I hide??

Please tell me people, is it okay to point out negative points in ur application to your mentor??

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. you should tell your letter writers so they have the chance to say something about how the one test score does not reflect what you would be as a physician.

2. I think a fail is obviously not good but you did pass the second time. You've come this far so not even applying at this point seems like a waste. You should at least try. Also, to increase your chances you could apply for family medicine as well. And apply to a whole lot of programs. Some will be sure to bite.

Definitely tell. As above, this gives your mentor the opportunity to address the issue, and play it down in comparison to your other good qualities. This can only benefit you.

A minor point, but the two digit score is not a percentile. I mention it not to make you feel badly, but to save you the embarrasment of saying you scored in the "88th percentile" when interviewing.

As already mentioned, 212 is actually like 30th percentile, not 88th. The 2 digit score means nothing.

You have 3 strikes against you: FMG (just realized that you never directly mentioned this, but I'm assuming based on your use of the 2 digit and writing style), Failed Step, No Visa, not to mention your unexplained time off.

The best idea might be to apply to like 400 FM residencies and then if that doesnt work out get a job as one of those MD's advertising health supplements on daytime TV. Dont mean to rain on your parade, but just being realistic