Should I tell them about Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Audio

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so before I made up my mind 100% to go into dentistry, I actually applied and was accepted to a foreign med school. I'm not even positive why I applied. Maybe I wanted a confidence boost, maybe part of me just wanted to get over with it and get into a graduate school. But, I made up my mind to pursue dentistry and only dentistry. I didn't even take the MCAT.

I am now committed fully to my goal of becoming a dentist. My grades are not bad. I have a 3.65 GPA...not amazing but good enough for a shot at med school. This isn't my back up or my plan B. I want to be a dentist more than anything. I think about it all the time. It excites me like medicine never has. This is my first choice.

Now, my concern is this...won't it look bad that I applied to med school...and a foreign one at that. Also, do I have to write down that I applied and was acccepted to? I never took the MCAT. I don't think that the dental schools could really find out..could they? And if they did, would the kick me out?

What should I do?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I got into a foreign med school as well and I'd advise against hiding it. Just be prepared to answer why you chose dentistry over medicine during your interviews.

It was even worse for me because I applied to medical school one full year before deciding to appy to dental school and I took the MCAT a few times during that stretch. Plus, my GPA is about half of yours, so I wouldnt worry about this whole thing holding you back from getting into dental school. Just be honest.

Rezdawg said:
I got into a foreign med school as well and I'd advise against hiding it. Just be prepared to answer why you chose dentistry over medicine during your interviews.

It was even worse for me because I applied to medical school one full year before deciding to appy to dental school and I took the MCAT a few times during that stretch. Plus, my GPA is about half of yours, so I wouldnt worry about this whole thing holding you back from getting into dental school. Just be honest.

Why would you advise against hiding it, I think it is none of their business.

Members don't see this ad :)
*Tooth*fairy* said:
Why would you advise against hiding it, I think it is none of their business.

Because they ask you on the application...the words "integrity" and "ethics" pop up in my head, both of which are crucial to the field of dentistry.

Rezdawg said:
Because they ask you on the application...the words "integrity" and "ethics" pop up in my head, both of which are crucial to the field of dentistry.

Chill.....I didn't remember that they asked that on app.... but yes, if they ask, then I agree to be honest

*Tooth*fairy* said:
Chill.....I didn't remember that they asked that on app.... but yes, if they ask, then I agree to be honest

Im chillin like a villain bro.

is there any way that they could find out. I only applied to 1 school in the caribbean and didn't even take the MCAT. I'm tempted to not disclose this info..but in the end I'm pretty sure that I'll do the right thing.

Audio said:
is there any way that they could find out. I only applied to 1 school in the caribbean and didn't even take the MCAT. I'm tempted to not disclose this info..but in the end I'm pretty sure that I'll do the right thing.

Well, they specifically ask if you have ever applied to a pre-professional program other than dental school.

Yes, you could hide the fact that you applied to and were admitted to a foreign program. Its up to you.

I applied to and was accepted to 2 foreign med schools, took the mcat TWICE and, get this, actually ATTENDED one of the schools for about 2 weeks until I finally came to the conclusion that I truely did not want to do it.

Basically, what happened is this: I've been brought up in a house where my father was a doctor and my mother was a nurse. Naturally, I grw to have an interest in health care, medicine in particular. All my life I had thought I wanted to be a physician. Then I came to college and was exposed to SO much more than I had ever been, and so I grew, as most people do in college and began exploring these new avenues in health care, especially towards the end of my college career, and I even got a job in an optometrist's office to try that out. Unfortunately, I simply couldn't find a job in a dentist's office at the time, so I just did some internet research and found it to be facinating. I'm a person who likes working with my hands. I own my own computer business in which I hand make computers and I am a musician (I'm a pianist and I make modern electronica music which you can listen to at www.noahneiman.com, but you have to turn off your pop-up blocker, or allow mywebsite to have pop-ups in your pop-up blocker options :D).

Nevertheless, my mind had been so set on becoming a physician, and I had such a strong psuh toward it from my parents that I just decided to apply again (2nd time), with my 2nd MCAT score and I was accepted to St. George's Medical School. It was a very hard decision to leave to US, but I did it. Once I got there, I came to the realization that it was NOT what I wanted, and in addition to a number of other reasons such as the fact that I had a very big chance of losing my fiance if I stayed away from her for nearly 4 years in a different country, the fact that I was not comfortable AT ALL in the new environment due to the sudden culture shock, and that the school does not look as it does in pictures, I left.

My pirmary concern was for my relationship with my fiance. I did not want to jeoperdize that. In addition, I began thinking of my relationship with my father. He and I have barely any rlationship at all and it's because all my memories of him are of him leaving, or coming home too tiered to spend any quality time with me, my sister or my mother. Not to get too personal, but suffice it to say that the medical field is pretty bad about rewarding the work that it's physicians have put in, and it's only going to get worse. My father has all but disowned me because of my decision against becoming a physician, but I'm sticking with it, because I don't want my son or daughter to have the same relationship that I have with my father.

Now, obviously, family life isn't the only reason I have for switching from medicine to dentistry. Like I said above, I enjoy working with my hands. The detail of the work matches my interests in working on music and building computers. I feel very inspired by the dentist I shadow now, much more so than I ever did when leaving the hospital I used to volunteer at. Whenever I leave his office, I feel happy and proud of myself for pursuing this field of healthcare because I beleve that I will make a good dentist.

So to answer your question, bottom line is, you do need to tell them about applying to med school and/or getting accepted. If they find out about that and that you didn't tell them, it can look REALLY bad. Just know, you're not the first person to apply to med school, turn down the acceptance and pursue something else. Hell I did it, but you have to have a reason, and if you don't have a reason, well, you might want to ask yourself exactly what it is you're doing...

you've got to look at it like this:

1) don't tell them
a) they never find out, and you are fine
b) they find out, and you will have almost no chance of getting in

if you tell them, and have a good reason as to why you switched, you have absolutely nothing to fear. they won't hold it against you. not one bit.

to me, the decision is obvious, even without the issue of ethics coming into play.

I would advise not lying about anything on your application, including omitting things that are asked. If your stats are good they wont turn you down because you had a brief interlude with "the dark side." Just be honest. Esp the fact you didn't attend although you were accepted shows that you truly chose dentistry over medicine--not that you couldn't get in and took dentistry as "sloppy seconds."

Audio said:
I want to be a dentist more than anything. I think about it all the time. It excites me like medicine never has.

the question is... does it make you horny? if it makes you horny.. then ur in.. if not, then im sorry.