Should I tell them that I like theater?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

husky10501

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Should I put down on my AMCAS that i've down theater and some work for local commercials? I'm scared they'll be like "so..you're a failed actor turned pre-med?" which isn't my case. I made big bucks to pay off my tuition with that money. hahaha.

Members don't see this ad.

It won't be a problem. Adcoms will generally like it because it will make you stand out from most applicants, particularly if you did it professionally as you have indicated.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've done theatre for over 10 years, and adcoms seemed to like that.

ABSOLUTELY NOT.

This is the worst possible mistake you could make.

Medicine and theater are like acetic acid and diethyl ether; they just don't mix.

Hey guys. Should I put down on my AMCAS that i've down theater and some work for local commercials? I'm scared they'll be like "so..you're a failed actor turned pre-med?" which isn't my case. I made big bucks to pay off my tuition with that money. hahaha.
I'm listing the fact that I've written a play that is being put on this fall (and I'm playing the lead character). I think it will be nothing but a positive aspect of my application. Well, maybe not at the schools with a heavy Jewish heritage, but whatever..... :laugh:

i agree. i dont think you should mention it. sounds way too risky. dont do it.

Of course mention it. It will help you to stand out and add to your app as another thing you've done with your time.

They eat up that unique stuff. I bet you get mentioned as the guy/girl that acted in commercials during the group meetings on interview day.

I totally have to support you in mentioning this. I did it for nearly 10 years myself and spent some time at Yale Drama School before I realised that I just wasn't cut out for it as a professional. And probably like me, you've gained a lot of great skills out of it which will really help you as a physician. :D

You should absolutely include it. A lot of my interviewers ended up talking to me mostly about my acting and writing experiences rather than research or clinical experience. I think many adcoms find it unique, and it shows that you have interests outside of medicine that can keep you from going stir crazy in med school.

I did a lot of volunteer work in college, and one of my interviewers actually said "so you couldn't make it in the volunteering world, huh?"

Screw 'em.

"so..you're a failed actor turned pre-med?"

I really doubt that's how they'd view it. Medschool, being as hard as it is to get in, seems like a pretty poor "Plan B." People do all sorts of stuff in college that doesn't turn into a career. I doubt every college basketball player that applies to med school is seen as a a failed pro-gone-doctor.

This is something that makes you stand out!:thumbup:
You should include it without hesitation or worry. ADCOMS usually favor well-rounded & diverse applicants. :love: Diversity (hence uniqueness) comes in many different forms and it is something that will only enhance your candidacy. Theather is obviously something important to you, and by not including this in your application you'd be conforming to all the other usual "medicine is my life and soul" type premeds. Think of the thousands and thousands of applications that land on the ADCOMS desks- when they find something cool and fresh about you, it motivates them to read in to you.
Besides, doctors are not just egg heads that live and breath biochemistry and genetics- they also have outside interests that make them Renaissance-type individuals. Many doctors are musicians, athletes and artists themselves- it adds to their quality of life, and most would argue that it makes them better doctors. Being able to excel at many different things makes you an attractive applicant with many talents. As long as you confirm that being a doctor is your ultimate life goal- there will not be any confusion as to where your energies are focused.
This is a definite strength- don't make the mistake of not including it.

Good luck! :luck:

This is something that makes you stand out!:thumbup:
You should include it without hesitation or worry. ADCOMS usually favor well-rounded & diverse applicants. :love: Diversity (hence uniqueness) comes in many different forms and it is something that will only enhance your candidacy. Theather is obviously something important to you, and by not including this in your application you'd be conforming to all the other usual "medicine is my life and soul" type premeds. Think of the thousands and thousands of applications that land on the ADCOMS desks- when they find something cool and fresh about you, it motivates them to read in to you.
Besides, doctors are not just egg heads that live and breath biochemistry and genetics- they also have outside interests that make them Renaissance-type individuals. Many doctors are musicians, athletes and artists themselves- it adds to their quality of life, and most would argue that it makes them better doctors. Being able to excel at many different things makes you an attractive applicant with many talents. As long as you confirm that being a doctor is your ultimate life goal- there will not be any confusion as to where your energies are focused.
This is a definite strength- don't make the mistake of not including it.

Good luck! :luck:

thanks guys!