should I transfer from UCLA to UCI? please please reply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

butterflew

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I survived my first semester at UCLA with 3.9 GPA, but somehow I don't think that it is the right school for me. I feel like i don't belong there. So now I'm thinking about transfering to UCI which ranked #44 in the nation versus UCLA #25. How would my chance of getting into good optometry schools and UCBSO specifically be different if I transfer? In addition if I transfered to UCI, then I would get like 5 or 6 grands more a year from financial aid and scholarships since I can commute to UCI. Should I transfer? thank you so much for helping :)

Members don't see this ad.

The question is...will you be able to transfer between UC's? You need to have a REALLY good reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, I personally don't think you transfering to uci will hurt your chances because they even accept jc units...just do well in your courses and you'll be in good shape

Hi Butterflew,

I spent the last 4 years at UCLA and I grew up in Orange County so hopefully I can give you some good perspective.

Transferring to UCI should not affect your chances of getting into optometry school. The most important thing is to maintain an excellent GPA and do well on the OATs.

Most schools will tell you the same thing. I DO believe that they do look at where you went to school and that it is taken into slight account, but it is not a major factor. UCI is also a respected school, so I don't think the change will be dramatic in the least.

I can understand how UCLA is not the best fit for everyone. It can be large and impersonal on many levels, though you may find that UCI isn't much different.

I don't know your specifics but I would venture to guess that you would much rather live at home and be surrounded by the people you are most comfortable with rather than the people you live with at UCLA (especially if you live in the dorms for instance and find yourself eating dinner alone at puzzles every once in a while). I have known many people who haven't quite "fit" at UCLA.

Hope that helps.

thank everyone for answering my post.

**** man, i grew up in irvine; you don't want to be there; i'm thinking you just miss home right? i'd say stick it out living on your own, it's better

You should go wherever that you feel fits you the best.

Look at the rankings online with a grain of salt. I think most UCs offer really good education.

You should consider and look into other optometry programs other than just UCBSO when you eventually apply. There are quality programs in many other schools across the nation. Keep up your grades and do well on the OATs and you should be fine. Of course, have a life too.

Tour the school and see how you like it. If you do, then go for it and save a bunch of money at the same time. I'm not sure how much more you'll fit in at UCI, but you don't have to worry about your chances decreasing. Just make sure you're happy about where you are and do well while you're there.

Tour the school and see how you like it. If you do, then go for it and save a bunch of money at the same time. I'm not sure how much more you'll fit in at UCI, but you don't have to worry about your chances decreasing. Just make sure you're happy about where you are and do well while you're there.

I too am from Orange County and went to UCLA but took many summer courses at UCI and completed post bac work at UCI after graduating. In terms of academics, UCI and UCLA are very similar. The science majors are highly impacted, impersonal and very competitive. I found a couple courses at UCI to be a little easier but I think a lot of it had to do with professors I had. Put simply, they were just better professors (for example: I took microbio at UCI w/ an amazing professor who only teaches the course in the summer.. I did well in it because she was a great professor who really liked teaching). At UCLA however, the microbio lecture and lab series is known to be very horrible! My friends that took the class said that their professors were just terrible, so I opted to take it at UCI.

To answer your question: transferring from UCLA to UCI shouldn't decrease your chances for entrance into optometry school. As long as you keep your grades high (which seems feasible with your 3.9 gpa!), score well on the OAT and get involved in the field.. you should be just fine. However, as stated by previous posts, do your research before committing to such a change. Take a tour of the campus and maybe attend summer school there to get a good feel of how the next 3 years of your college experience is going to be. I HATED the UCI campus, sorry anteaters... but I think that the way the campus was constructed around Aldrich park is just terrrrrrible! I dreaded the long walks from one side of campus to the other! I actually found the academic/social environment at UCI to be even more impersonal that UCLA!

I STRONGLY URGE that you give UCLA another shot! If you're from So Cal, it really is just a quick drive to get home on the weekends. Even more so, your friends from OC should find it exciting to visit you in LA every now and then. I found Westwood to be such a great city of culture and diversity. The city itself embodies the full essence of a college town. If you find yourself lonely.. make an effort to join one of the many clubs and organizations available on campus (browse studentgroups.ucla.edu). Since you're interested in optometry, UCLA is home to one of the most innovative eye research institutes (the Jules Stein Eye Institute).. so try volunteering as a research associate for one of the optometrists there! At my SCCO interview, they asked me specifically about my research and volunteer work at UCLA.

While I also considered UCI when choosing my undergraduate college, nothing could replace my experience at UCLA. This is just my own humble opinion: but UCI doesn't offer the exciting perks of pac-10 school like UCLA! I'll never forget the Beat SC pep rallies, homecoming parades, football games, basketball games (if you didn't know.. we're pretty damn good!). Also, when you become of age by your third year.. you might find Westwood/LA nightlife to be pretty exciting as well. Trust me, I live and work in Irvine now and I find it to be quite less exciting.

Sorry for the long reply, but I wanted to give you the perspective of someone who's been on both ends of the spectrum. Let me know if you have any questions! Best of you luck to you =)