should I transfer? maybe someone else can make this decision for me...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

treckingon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm done with 2 years of a PhD program but have yet to get my masters (masters project is in progress...). I just switched advisors, so new advisor is nice, but my program is a poor fit for me, as I think I would like a heavier emphasis on clinical work, a more integrative approach, and to live somewhere else.

But, I think that if I transfer to another program, I would have to start over, at least in terms of classwork, which pretty much means another 2 years. I'm also almost 30 and feeling old. Oh, and one important thing is that I have made some good friends and the students are very supportive of each other.

So what's the verdict? worth it? not worth it?

I have a feeling inside that I should just plow ahead and finish the next few years and apply to internship in a place I'd like to live more and make up for the lack of clinical training through reading, training programs, and experience...

Members don't see this ad.

Ultimately, I think only you are the one who can make this decision. It is your life, and you have to do what is going to make the most sense for you right now and for your long term goals.

That being said, generally transferring is not the wisest decision unless there is a REALLY good reason. I know people who have successfully transferred, but its always been for medical reasons, drastic family changes, or because their adviser left. Most schools will not seriously consider an applicant who has already been in or is currently in another program. If I were you, I would stick it out. It sounds like you switched advisers, but also seek out some of these experiences you are craving on your own. I know my program has been very open to students creating the experiences they need. For example, if you really want to run a certain group, or have experience with a certain population create a plan and propose it to your DCT or your clinic director. They might be open to you doing that, and it shows that you have a lot of initiative. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I'm done with 2 years of a PhD program but have yet to get my masters (masters project is in progress...). I just switched advisors, so new advisor is nice, but my program is a poor fit for me, as I think I would like a heavier emphasis on clinical work, a more integrative approach, and to live somewhere else.

I have a feeling inside that I should just plow ahead and finish the next few years and apply to internship in a place I'd like to live more and make up for the lack of clinical training through reading, training programs, and experience...

My 2 cents. Not worth it... especially since you like your new advisor. You can usually get practicum experiences along the way that allow you to expand your clinical repertoire. I am at a heavily CBT oriented program and personally I don't find CBT all that compatible with my personal style, although I have integrated it successfully. I personally prefer a more integrative approach that allows me the flexibility to use a wide variety of conceptualizations and treatment modalities with my clients. To this end, I have picked practicum placements that have provided me the opportunity to work with therapists who practice a wide variety of therapeutic approaches. My experiences have allowed me to work with strict behaviorists, existential, psychodynamic, interpersonal, and other therapists.

This advice is worth what you paid for it. I hope that you can find a way to complete your training without having to start all over.

Mark

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the other posters that transferring is very rare and very difficult. I looked into it at one point as my program could only be described as hell on earth. Which brings up another point: many PhD programs are an awful experience. You might be jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

Two students transferred from my program (large research university) while I was there. Both ended up transferring to unfunded, non-accredited programs.

At the very least, I would complete your MA before looking for a new program. That way, you would be lined up to apply to programs that require a MA for admission (in my experience there are a number of counseling psych PhD programs that fall into this category).

Also, I must say I do not know if my advice would hold true for PsyD programs at professional schools, as I know very little about such programs.

Best of luck,
Dr. Eliza

First off, not being 30 and feeling old...ouch! :laugh: Your best bet (from what I've seen) is to gut out until internship, as then you'll have more say in what you do. I didn't particularly like my program nor situation, but I decided I just needed to get through it. Once on internship I had more say over what I did. Same for fellowship.

Markp is spot on about orientation differences. I too got stuck with very-CBT supervisors (the non-neuropsych ones at least), and it was frustrating at times, but losing two years and having to apply again would have been brutal. Doing the internship process will feel like the grad school application process all over again...but worse. If at all possible, try and stick it out.

I wouldn't transfer. It will add time and you might not get in anywhere else that fits any better than this program. Make whatever changes necessary to make the program work better for you, and then put your heels down and grind it out.

Those who ended up with very CBT-oriented places and are unsatisfied about it, can you please explain why this is? I'm interested in hearing.

What about if your research interests change? Would transferring be advisable in this situation if academia is your end goal and your current program/advisor doesn't offer training in the research area you want? Just curious...

What about if your research interests change? Would transferring be advisable in this situation if academia is your end goal and your current program/advisor doesn't offer training in the research area you want? Just curious...

This happens a lot, but in my experience, most of us just try to "make it work." Some of my friends sought mentors (not advisors) and research experiences in different depts and even from other schools. My own advisor knew nothing about my area of study, so I had to be more independent and run my own research. It isn't ideal, but it can be done.

Best,
Dr. Eliza

Those who ended up with very CBT-oriented places and are unsatisfied about it, can you please explain why this is? I'm interested in hearing.

In my case, we had one faculty member who was extremely rigid in her thought process and believed that there was only one right answer and one approach. This combined with manualized therapy about drove me nuts. I don't work well from a script, it's not natural for me and inhibits me when trying to go where the client needs me to be. I think that CBT interventions can be very effective and I use them all the time, but they are not the only effective interventions and other tools exist to get the client from where they are to where they optimally would like to be.

If you are practicing in a way that is uncomfortable and not playing to your strengths as a therapist, you'll likely do poorly.

Mark

In my case, we had one faculty member who was extremely rigid in her thought process and believed that there was only one right answer and one approach.

I hate that. I have someone in my family who has OCPD (undiagnosed, but I have no doubt), so I've experienced plenty of that.

I wouldn't transfer. Like an earlier response suggested, you can likely seek additional opportunities to augment your experience. There is no such thing as a perfect program, so it is usually worth it to try and make it work.

Good luck! :)