Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Should I transfer schools to get a better chance at a CA med school?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by AnnaL, Aug 16, 2015.

1. AnnaL

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hey guys,

I'm wondering if I made a mistake choosing my college. I will be a freshman this fall and I chose to go to San Diego State University over UC Santa Cruz and I would like to go to med school in California. Everyone says that in order to go to a UC med school you should go to a UC school. I didn't choose to go to UCSC initially because I didn't like the campus and couldn't see myself attending the school and enjoying myself there, but now I'm wondering if those reasons weren't good enough to not attend. And now I feel like I could enjoy myself there if I tried. I would be grateful to get into any med school in the US of course, but since I am a CA resident it would help immensely in terms of tuition if I could attend a public in-state med school. I know I'm only starting college, but should I try to transfer to UCSC or any UC? The only problem is that at SDSU I'm a bio major whereas if I transferred to a UC I would prefer to be a neuroscience or a biopsychology major so I'm not sure how I would go about changing that.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. femmegoblue

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I didn't choose to go to UCSC initially because I didn't like the campus and couldn't see myself attending the school and enjoying myself there

These are the things that matter right now. You will have a better GPA and college experience when you are somewhere you truly fit, and that will shine through in your med school apps. Medical school is at least four years away, do not mess up your college experience because of a neurotic, pre-frosh year thought.

4. AnnaL

I know, I just feel like because of SDSU's "party" reputation I won't stand a chance for CA med schools against kids from UCLA, Berkeley, etc.

5. neekzg

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you cannot see yourself attending UCSC and enjoying yourself there, that is all the reason you need to decide not to go there. Your sanity and happiness are extremely important in college, don't underestimate that!

Just be active in seeking out opportunities for research, volunteering, and if you need it, pre-med mentorship/advice. SDSU is still a great school and I'm sure there will be opportunities for you to build a great app and have lots of fun doing so.

If you get a good GPA and do well on the MCAT, no one's going to care that you went to a school with a "party" reputation.

edit: Did you get into UCLA or Cal? If not, then don't worry about them. If you did... no question just go to UCLA :p

6. On Eagle's Wings

On Eagle's Wings To Make Man Whole
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I got into a UC medical school despite going to a state university. You are making a great choice going to a state university. The tuition is cheaper and the grading usually is not as bad. Just make sure you keep your grades up and get involved on campus. Please PM me and we can talk some more.

7. hoihaie

hoihaie Membership Revoked
    Removed

Medical Student
    SDSU is a great school, just gotta control yourself in the party scene. You're also semi-close to UCSD too and there's are tons of opportunities there. What you major has no effect on ur chances of med school

Cyberdyne 101 likes this.
  8. AnnaL

Thanks for the advice guys, you're making me feel a bit better and calming me down :).

But I'm also kind of worried about my major. I love biology, but if I love neuroscience more. If I don't get into med school I would happily do neuroscience research. I didn't really know what major I wanted when I applied and I thought declaring a science major would make it tougher to get in. However, now I know what major I would want and I've signed up for pre-major bio classes. What if later down the road I want neuroscience or biopsych instead? I guess I just have buyer's remorse right now haha. I feel really immature and behind on the game for not knowing what major I wanted when I applied and I guess I have buyer's remorse or something about it :/

9. efle

efle not an elf
    Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You won't be judged for being at a party school. Your GPA may not bring as much wow factor as the same GPA earned at UCLA or Cal, but if you kill the MCAT your shot at UC medical schools is going to be fine with SDSU on your resume

Cyberdyne 101 and ZedsDed like this.
  10. neekzg

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    "not knowing what major I wanted when I applied"

haha are you serious! Of course that's okay. Most people I went to school with were changing majors until their 2nd and 3rd years (and some poor souls in their 4th yrs).

Bummer that your school doesn't have a neuroscience major, but I'm sure there will be a handful of neuroscience classes to satisfy that interest. Do some more research into all the majors at your school and pick whatever is most interesting--science or not. Just try to figure it out sometime during your first year so you don't get behind on any major pre-reqs for the upper division courses.

11. ZedsDed

ZedsDed You know what really grinds my gears?
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    A Cal-state grad in my lab received an interview invite from UCI recently. Just do well OP, you should be fine.

On Eagle's Wings likes this.
  12. Matt Long

Pre-Medical
    As a second year UCSC student, and having friends to are at SDSU, both are good, it just depends on where you feel most comfortable. Don't be bogged down by transferring decisions, focus on your grades and activities, at the end of the day, those are what truly counts!