Should I transfer? (senior) difficult decision :( need ~30 credits to graduate.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpaceHamsterBoo

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thing one: SDN is not a great place to get serious advice about mental health. Most school have counseling resources (you can start with you class Dean if you are unsure) to guide you through this tough time.

Thing two: unfortunately, what you are experiencing is the difference in difficulty of coursework at many community colleges (some are more rigorous than others) and coursework at 4-year institutions. Many straight-A high school students face similar difficulties and frustrations when they first start college. You likely lack the appropriate study habits and skills necessary to cope with the increased course difficulty - you can definitely learn these skills, all successful students do at one point or another, but you will need dedication and maybe some outside help. Look for tutoring and help rooms at your university, join study groups, look up SDN threads about successful study habits.

Reactions: 1 user
I took 80 credits at a community college, 60 were transferred to my current university. Had a 3.77 GPA
At my current university I've taken 10 credits (last semetser 2.7 GPA) and am taking 14 now (A,B,C,C - 2.63)

I've scheduled at my current university for the spring semester:
Genetics - HARDEST class in the bio department
Population Biology
Molecular Biology
World Music

I'm frustrated and in an academic slump at my current university, I have no motivation to go to class. I'm not involved in any extra curriculars. I can't do reserach as I don't know the proffesors considering I'm a transfer and the premed committee requires SEVEN letters of recommendation.

I'm seriously considering transferring to a LARGE research university such as Penn State or Pittsburgh.
I've heard from friends who go there that classes are much easier, research opportunities are more available to students and professors literally do not let students fail.

I'm a first generation college student and I'm really stressed and have no idea on what to do.
I've gone from acing physics, calc, organic, etc to earning Cs.

keep in mind many schools require a certain amount of credits to graduate AT their school. You need to look at the fine print of each of the schools you are looking at. When I was looking at transferring a few years back, I ended up staying because many of the schools I was looking at require at least 60 credits or something (basically two years) at that school to get a degree from that institution. I would suggest sticking it out, and really focusing on ONE professor for research; really try and form a solid relationship with that professor. First off you need to find one that is looking for an intern (because you may like someone's class but they might not have the room available), do well in their class, show a lot of interest etc. Its not like every professor is going to be climbing over each other to get you as a student in their lab. But it only takes one and then a lot of other doors open- at least thats how it went for me. Keep your chin up ^_^

also keep in mind that larger institutions you absolutely have to shine a little more to get interest from the professors. If you are that unmotivated guy/girl sitting in the back of the class, you arent going to get in their lab, regardless of if they have more opportunities. In general a lot of your troubles seem to stem not from a lack of opportunity from your school, but more so that you might need to take a break and get your head on straight. Maybe finish school and take some time off, get some research, take a break from school before you apply. Just my two cents

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was in a slump (getting C's), I went to a shrink. Do that. Nobody here is going to be able to fix your problem or tell you if transferring is right or wrong for you.

I took 80 credits at a community college, 60 were transferred to my current university. Had a 3.77 GPA
At my current university I've taken 10 credits (last semetser 2.7 GPA) and am taking 14 now (A,B,C,C - 2.63)

I've scheduled at my current university for the spring semester:
Genetics - HARDEST class in the bio department
Population Biology
Molecular Biology
World Music

I'm frustrated and in an academic slump at my current university, I have no motivation to go to class. I'm not involved in any extra curriculars. I can't do reserach as I don't know the proffesors considering I'm a transfer and the premed committee requires SEVEN letters of recommendation.

I'm seriously considering transferring to a LARGE research university such as Penn State or Pittsburgh.
I've heard from friends who go there that classes are much easier, research opportunities are more available to students and professors literally do not let students fail.

I'm a first generation college student and I'm really stressed and have no idea on what to do.
I've gone from acing physics, calc, organic, etc to earning Cs.

Just a word of quick advice, PSU isn't exactly easy. :/ (PSU satellite campuses are significantly easier than PSU main and many have a hard time adjusting, just like you are)
Depends on what courses you'd be taking, though, some are obviously easier than others. However, the committee only requires three LORs (two science, one non)
but in doing this you'd be setting yourself back a lot (you need 60 credits from PSU to graduate from Penn State). And there's no guarantee your CC credits would all transfer, they're picky. Like organic, only a handful of CC's credits are accepted, which left me in a tight spot.

If you're curious at all.
http://admissions.psu.edu/info/future/transfer/credit/

Last edited:
When I was in a slump (getting C's), I went to a shrink. Do that. Nobody here is going to be able to fix your problem or tell you if transferring is right or wrong for you.

Pro tip: don't call psychologists / therapists shrinks when you are advising somebody to go see one.