Should I transfer? What is the smarter route?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedSucks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just finished my freshman year at Stern College for Women, the undergraduate school of Albert Einstein Medical School. Pretty much I am leaning towards transferring to Rutgers and I have made a pros and cons list to leaving but I am still undecided

Pros to transferring:
- Bigger classes mean I don't need to show up to class and can spend more time studying
- In class much less, because I do not need 10 credits of Jewish studies a semester plus 14 extra credits
- Much less requirements. Won't need to graduate in 3 more years with 160 credits
- Not EVERYONE is pre-med
- I will have a better social life
- It is practically free
- I can graduate in a year and a half
- I can major in marketing and economics in case medical school doesn't work out

Cons to leaving:
-My school has a 60% acceptance rate into einstein medical school and 90% overall
- If I get into Einstein it will be free
- They offer me many research opportunities
- It is in the city
- I am not sure what the acceptance rate to medical school is from Rutgers, but I assume its not great because there are many pre-meds
-Im comfortable in my school

Members don't see this ad.

Cons to leaving:
-My school has a 60% acceptance rate into einstein medical school and 90% overall
- It is in the city
- I am not sure what the acceptance rate to medical school is from Rutgers, but I assume its not great because there are many pre-meds

The cons outweigh the pros.

I think you should stay.

It doesn't sound like you have a really big stand out reason to transfer. I would stay. You're going to encounter competition in the premed pool WHEREVER you go.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean one of the biggest reasons I want to transfer is because I go to an extremely religious Jewish college simply for the reason that they have a deal with Einstein that their students get priority. I, myself, am Jewish but I am not religious so it makes me feel uncomfortable at times that I don't have the proper social life in college which can get lonely.

Also, if medicine does not work out I want to pursue business. What MBA program is going to want to take a biology major with not one course in economics? ( i cannot fit that into my college courses)

How is Rutgers practically free? How is einstein free?

Rutgers is a huge research school so that shouldnt alter your decision. There is decently sized jewish community at the school so you could find people to bond with if you wanted to remain active in the jewish community. Otherwise its a big school, you will find the group of friends you are looking for.

Here are statistics from the health professions office:
http://hpo.rutgers.edu/Admission Stats-Med.pdf

The HPO is pretty well known so medical schools in the area will think its weird if a rutgers student doesnt have a committee letter from the office. What im trying to say is that almost every premed in the school will go through this office. Its voluntary but not really haha. Therefore these stats are probably pretty accurate for most of the pre-meds coming out of rutgers.

I got a huge scholarship to rutgers and my school, since it is the undergraduate school of einstein, has a deal with einstein that every student who gets accepted there from my school goes for free (or for half if you get below a 33 on your MCATs)

Cons to leaving:
- It is in the city

This, plus not having any financial/familial/academic problems, pretty much merits staying in my book.

But it's your choice.