Should I try to apply to more?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bagh77

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are you done Omar?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,
as my stats in the stats thread say:
My country of citizenship is: Canadian
Currently studying: Nothing, Finished Undergrad: B.Sc. in Biology, and working in a chem lab in the University of Waterloo
At this University: University of Toronto
My GPA is: 3.61
My MCAT Scores were: 34R (12, 13, 9)
I applied to: Trinity, RCSI, UCD, All Ontario Schools
I have applied to medical schools this many times: 1

I applied to those three Irish universities. After being rejected from 4 Canadian schools and about 13 American schools, I'm beginning to get very worried. Should I try to apply to the other Irish schools in case I don't get in to those three (As I have not received an interview to RCSI yet, which I take as bad news..), or do you guys think I have a good shot at UCD or Trinity (Although I would much rather do a 4-year program).

Keep up the hope bro! :cool:

You know my take on this. Your stats are good enough in my opinion, just needs patience. You're not out of the game for US yet, and no response doesn't mean rejection.

But if it makes you feel more secure then apply to one/two more Irish schools (if you still can). Though I would rather apply to Canada/US/Dublin again next year rather than live in Galway or Cork for 4 years...Just my opinion, your preference may differ.

Keep up the hope bro! :cool:

You know my take on this. Your stats are good enough in my opinion, just needs patience. You're not out of the game for US yet, and no response doesn't mean rejection.

But if it makes you feel more secure then apply to one/two more Irish schools (if you still can). Though I would rather apply to Canada/US/Dublin again next year rather than live in Galway or Cork for 4 years...Just my opinion, your preference may differ.

You spend too much time on SDF :p

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are worried about acceptances, apply to limerick and cork, they have 4 year programs as well.

to be honest bagh77, i would try applying to canada/US another year before looking elsewhere. i'm in my last year here in ireland - and i'm not going to sugarcoat it - it's tough enough to get back into canada. don't get me wrong, i have really enjoyed my time here, but with the new GEM classes and the triple canadian cohort coming from ireland, it's only going to get harder to get residencies in canada. spend the year doing some solid research, improve on your application and apply to canada/US again, maybe more broadly. the irish schools are great, yes, but if you don't want to worry about return of service or even getting back home, try applying to canada/US again first.

to be honest bagh77, i would try applying to canada/US another year before looking elsewhere. i'm in my last year here in ireland - and i'm not going to sugarcoat it - it's tough enough to get back into canada. don't get me wrong, i have really enjoyed my time here, but with the new GEM classes and the triple canadian cohort coming from ireland, it's only going to get harder to get residencies in canada. spend the year doing some solid research, improve on your application and apply to canada/US again, maybe more broadly. the irish schools are great, yes, but if you don't want to worry about return of service or even getting back home, try applying to canada/US again first.

"Just take a year off, man!"....Easy for you to say. Things have changed since you've graduated from undergrad. A 3.6 simply isn't enough for Canada these days unless you are super lucky (not saying it doesn't happen, just very hard). And some have already wasted 1 year or 2. Ever wondered WHY theres an increase of Canadians studying in Ireland? It's because it's even harder now to get accepted back in Canada. And why did they all choose Ireland? It is the second best option. Obviously he has to know that he will be at a disadvantage compared to canadian medical graduates. But then again, wasting another year does not guarantee a position either. So why the risk.

Anecdote:
I know someone in studying in Ireland from Canada who has 3.75 and a great MCAT, applied THREE TIMES to Canada and did not get accepted. Another Canadian with a 3.71 and Average MCAT but has extensive research experience and did not match to Canada after two tries. Why should they keep trying and wasting years off their life. Some people just skipped the whole 4 years of undergrad and went straight to medical school (smart thing to do, when you know you just want to be a doctor, without the nonsense) Quite frankly those people do not give a damn about the Canadian system (which is in fact a stupid one). Just get in the system, you might be better at doing USMLEs and clinical work than studying for a stupid Verbal Reasoning test, mixing chemicals in organic chem lab, doing derivatives in calculus, calculating the electrical resistance of a wire in physics, or memorizing the anatomy of a frikin' lamprey in Bio. The 18 year old Irish medical student who did not go through 4+ years of unnecessary HELL, will get the same degree as I will, who was raped by UofT every single day for 4 years and had to go through stages of stress, depression, anxiety, and rage during the time when that 18 year old was emotionally stable, knew what his future holds (maybe shadowing a medical student or two). And guess what, we will both be doctors in the end.

You are talking about return of service, it have actually HELPED Irish grads match back to Canada recently. The match rates are actually getting better and not worse as you say. You don't want RoS? Then screw Canada, sideways, (they didn't want us in the first place so why serve the country) and go to the US (who wants to live in -40 degrees half the year anyways?!). If carib grads can match in the US, why can't we?

Last edited:
well, it's a difference of opinion. if i could do it all over again, i would've tried applying more broadly to canada/US for another year before i came to ireland. i'm sure it's competitive anywhere you go, and there's no harm in applying and weighing your options. but if it were ME, i wouldn't give up on canada/US just yet - particularly the US med schools. and yes, i'm sure match rates have been improving the last few years (at least according to the grads from my school, i can say), but this year they started to decrease the number of IMG spots in canada, and with the triple co-hort coming from ireland next year... well, you do the math.

the US is definitely an option, esp for those not wanting to do return of service, but that's no picnic either and it depends on what you're applying for. MY advice is: don't take being "in" the system for granted. it's going to be hard work anywhere you go. whether you see your year off as wasting your time or working to re-apply is up to you.

when did you apply to rcsi? I have stats similar to yours, albeit slightly lower. I was sent an interview invite (rcsi) at the beginning of february. But I submitted my ABP application in november. Surprising you did not get an interview, how were your EC, references, research history, essay, etc?

I did apply broadly, I applied to ~20 American schools, and every single Ontario school. I did not apply out of province because the probability of me getting into them is much less than me getting into an Ontario school, or even an American school, so there was no point. I finished my undergrad last year and I am currently working as a lab assistant, but there's no way I'm going to do another year of this crap, I really have no other choice. The probability of me getting into an American/Canadian school is still going to be low or even lower next year, especially with that crap cGPA holding me down. As for for coming back, I would really prefer to come back to Canada after finishing my degree, but I'm also willing to live in Europe/Australia/England/USA etc. if it doesn't work out.

As for working hard, I know its going to be a lot of work, if it isn't, then something is definitely wrong with the school. And I am used to it, as I have past experiences in universities where I had to basically fight as hard as I could to get through.

fair enough, especially if you're sick of waiting and don't feel your chances are great. do you know when you're due to hear back from irish schools? if it's not too late, perhaps apply to other irish programs..? and have you maybe considered australian schools? i have a couple friends who went to med school there and ended up coming back to canada with some success... i'm not sure what the timeline is like though

fair enough, especially if you're sick of waiting and don't feel your chances are great. do you know when you're due to hear back from irish schools? if it's not too late, perhaps apply to other irish programs..? and have you maybe considered australian schools? i have a couple friends who went to med school there and ended up coming back to canada with some success... i'm not sure what the timeline is like though

I applied to Australian schools and was accepted, but they asked me to start last month and by then I had not heard back from many Ontairo/US schools so I had to reject the offer. However, I will be applying to them again if I don't hear back from them anytime soon.