Should I try to get pharnacy experience now?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by Qqdog, 09.22.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Qqdog

Qqdog

I'm in the process of doing my pharmcas application but I have no extra curriculum activities and no pharmacy experience. I don't have any idea what I could write for how my professional background could help me...

Should I try to get a pharmacy tech job right now? I don't plan to submit my application until I get my pcat grades in December. That gives me about 2 months of experience

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. PharmDMcStuffins

PharmDMcStuffins 30's the new 20

You should shadow or interview a Pharmacist ASAP. You will need to register as a Pharmacy Technician with your state before you can get a Pharmacy Technician job.

4. Qqdog

Qqdog

I live in NY so they don't require a license for the job. I'm just not sure if it would help out my application by attempting to work for such a short period of time

5. PharmDMcStuffins

PharmDMcStuffins 30's the new 20

Some experience is better than no experience at all.

oldstock and NejixRockS like this.
  6. SaintsGirl89

SaintsGirl89

Pre-Pharmacy
    You can even look into volunteer opportunities in your area that are in a pharmacy. I volunteered at a free health clinic in the pharmacy.

7. SHSNY

SHSNY

Pre-Pharmacy
    Since you live in new york. Definitely check out Methodist or Lutheran and Brookdale. I know those three hospitals in the area have pharmacy opportunities with a simple interview.

8. kaidou1412

kaidou1412 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Verified
    Army
    hmph, without any exposure to pharmacy profession, how would you even know if you are interested in pharmacy career? All admins will have same reaction on your application.

9. soon2beDr.D

soon2beDr.D 2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I was just actually thinking the same thing, yesterday. Like I dont have much experience as well. Well.. I did work in Drug Fair as a pharmacy delivery person in highschool for 3 yrs, would that count? I also worked in a 2 labs as a tech writer and a lab tec(making beverages) I think I need a lil more volunteer work? Whatcha thik?

10. SaintsGirl89

SaintsGirl89

Pre-Pharmacy
    Volunteering looks good on an application. Even if you can only do a few hours, it still helps.

11. Sugoi Travis

Sugoi Travis 2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Shadow a pharmacist, whether it be in retail or hospital. Definitely shadow a retail pharmacist at the very least because that's where you're more than likely to go based on the job market.

About the ads