Should I Try to Reschedule my Interview or Does that Look Bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

koalabear

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to be in Baltimore in mid-Nov, so I scheduled my interview at Hopkins when I was going to be in town (to save $$$$), even though they had earlier dates available. Did I just hurt my chances at going there? It's my number one choice by far and I am thinking of trying to push my interview date up to sometime in october, but do you think it really matters? Or will I just make the people there mad at me by trying to reschedule? I feel like someone else had a similar issue on this site, but can't find it. Any input would be awesome. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I have rescheduled two of my interviews so far because they conflicted terribly with classes and tests, they seemed to understand. I would hope they realize that being a full time student and attending interviews (possibly across the country) can be difficult.

If you take a later interview, and then don't get in, would you regret it? I'm not sure how much it matters, but if it is your top choice, I would pull out all the stops.

Members don't see this ad :)
koalabear said:
I am going to be in Baltimore in mid-Nov, so I scheduled my interview at Hopkins when I was going to be in town (to save $$$$), even though they had earlier dates available. Did I just hurt my chances at going there? It's my number one choice by far and I am thinking of trying to push my interview date up to sometime in october, but do you think it really matters? Or will I just make the people there mad at me by trying to reschedule? I feel like someone else had a similar issue on this site, but can't find it. Any input would be awesome. thanks

Save money on the schools you don't care as much about. You want to do all your interviews at the earliest possible dates, and then if you get admitted someplace quick, you can save a ton of money not interviewing anywhere else thereafter. Some folks will still be flying to interviews well into the summer.

I can't imagine that will be a problem. I would save on the money. Mid November is still quite early, and no acceptances will have gone out. THey fill their class long into the year. As long as you don't dwell on it and worry too much i would stick with the way you have it.

One more thought, if you are on the east coast, New England, I would go earlier. There are very cheap Southwest flights. If you are in the deep south or farther west i would keep it the same. A short cheap flight would be worth it.

Is Hopkins rolling? If it's rolling, reschedule. If it's not rolling, it doesn't matter, so keep it when it is.

Hopkins is rolling; get there as soon as you can, within budgetary constraints. USAir also has cheap flights to Baltimore if you live in the Northeast.