MD Should I try?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tbyrdie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non traditional student and I was wondering if I should should even bother applying to MD programs.

My science and cumulative GPAs are about 3.25 and 3.33 respectively. (I had one very bad semester during my 2nd year that screwed me .675GPA :bang:). After the horrible semester, I averaged about a 3.7GPA for the remainder of my undergraduate career.

In the last year and I half I have also completed all required science courses (full time, all year round, all science course load with a 3.53GPA). If I applied to DO programs my science and cumulative GPAs would be 3.53/3.63 because I could take advantage of grade replacement.

Should I apply to both or stick to DO programs only?

*URM student as well

Members don't see this ad.

I think you'd be ok applying for both MD and DO schools as a URM- just aim for a good mcat score (27+ if you want MD) and you should be fine

Members don't see this ad :)
You haven't stated your MCAT.

But if it is 26+, then you should try for MD as well as do purely based on the fact that you are a URM. I do not mean this in an offensive way. I mean this because you can get into an MD school with lower stats because you are a URM.

What is your MCAT? If you have a strong MCAT and EC's you can still be considered in MD programs (especially as a URM), you would just have to be sure to avoid schools with gpa cutoffs and make sure you PS was done well.