Should I Update AACOMAS Now or Later

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shammyguy3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've recently started shadowing a DO, i have 7 hours right now and I'm wondering: would it be best to update my app right now saying that this is an on-going shadowing experience... or would it be better to wait until I have more hours to submit it? Or, even wait until I've completed the shadowing experience (i'm hoping to get 50 hours, i won't reach that number for awhile now though due to my work schedule and the doctor's office hours/vacation time).

So, should I go ahead and just update AACOMAS saying this is an going thing, and in there describe that I discussed extensive hours of shadowing with the doctor and was approved for it? I have yet to ask him to write a letter (although, he is a preceptor for Midwestern and seems very privy to the application process now) since it has only been two half days I have shadowed thus far.

Members don't see this ad.

I updated AACOMAS recently with my new DO shadowing experience with about 15 hours of experience; I figured it would be best to do it sooner than later since I'm assuming you are filling out secondaries at the moment. If you wait until you reach 50 hours, it might be a bit late, meaning that if you are complete with secondary and everything submitted, a school might look at your application before you even added the shadowing entry. Just my opinion

that's what I'm thinking; in the description section, would it be best to describe that the shadowing will be open-ended or be better to give an estimated number of hours?

Members don't see this ad :)
any other thoughts? @Goro you might be able to give me a definitive "Yes update now" or "No you can wait" answer that others might not be able to

I had a really valuable experience shadowing a DO after I submitted my primary. I never update the AACOMAS tho.
I did make sure to put that additional information in my secondaries.

Wait until you're done, then update.

I just don't understand this mindset of "I just started doing this..." Accomplishments are more impressive than plans.

I've recently started shadowing a DO, i have 7 hours right now and I'm wondering: would it be best to update my app right now saying that this is an on-going shadowing experience... or would it be better to wait until I have more hours to submit it? Or, even wait until I've completed the shadowing experience (i'm hoping to get 50 hours, i won't reach that number for awhile now though due to my work schedule and the doctor's office hours/vacation time).

So, should I go ahead and just update AACOMAS saying this is an going thing, and in there describe that I discussed extensive hours of shadowing with the doctor and was approved for it? I have yet to ask him to write a letter (although, he is a preceptor for Midwestern and seems very privy to the application process now) since it has only been two half days I have shadowed thus far.

I did the opposite of what Goro said.

All I did was add it in my application (or else I forget) and explained it was an on-going process, so more hours are being dedicated than posted.

Wait until you're done, then update.

I just don't understand this mindset of "I just started doing this..." Accomplishments are more impressive than plans.

thanks for the advice, I was leaning towards the opposite but good to know I can wait until I finished the shadowing experiences