Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Should I use Board Review Subject Books for classes?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by BacteriaER, Apr 8, 2002.

1. BacteriaER

BacteriaER Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi-
    During the first 2 years of med school, should I buy the subject Board review books and use it to review for both my class exams (to know where to concentrate) and the Board preparation? If yes, which books do you recommend? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

B

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ckent

ckent Membership Revoked
    Removed

Yes, definitely buy board review books and use them for your classes (as opposed to purchasing any text book your professors assign for you). 90% of the books I've bought that have been required, I have not used at all, and I have heard that it is this way at most med schools. You will save money by buying these books now instead of buying textbooks, and you will save time in the future by knowing how to use these books to study from when you are studying for the boards. I can't list all of the books that you will need, because everyone has their own different list, but some books to purchase now might be:
    BRS Physiology, BRS Pathology, High yield Anatomy, HY Neuroanatomy, Micro made ridiculously simple, etc. You can also purchase a First Aid now but they will undoubtely come out with a new edition next year, or you can purchase Step Up now, but they might have a new edition next year too. Don't worry about new editions too much though, usually they are just making new editions to make more money and don't offer anything new in their new editions.

4. Hercules

Hercules Son of Zeus
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I second what ckent said. I bought all the textbooks for the first couple of classes. Then I figured out that I could do just fine with the BRS which are significantly cheaper.

5. ckent

ckent Membership Revoked
    Removed

The only textbook that I would recommend that you buy is Robbins: Pathologic Basis of Disease.

6. 8404

8404 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hell ya!!! Buy and worship First Aid for the USMLE step 1. buy now and memorize!!!!!!

7. Kazu

Kazu Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I agree with ckent too. I use the board review series books for all my classes. They are easy to understand, and they are usually shorter than the class notes and definately shorter than textbooks. I only use the textbooks for areas where I am confused and need more detailed info to figure something out.

8. dingiswayo

dingiswayo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I have found that often our professors want us to master certain "low yield" information that is not found in major board review books. If this infomation is presented in the sylabus/lectures in a confusing way, I have found that it can be useful to have a real textbook on hand.

Also, most review books present information in a way that is intended for review, not for learning the first time. So in classes that are very conceptual (eg. physiology), it can be helpful to have an in depth text.

Texts that I have found useful:
    Biochem-- Either Lippincott or Marks.. both are good. Harpers may be needed at times when your profs. decide to teach you their research. :)
    Micro--Levinson (appleton&lange)
    Physio-- Those small books for each subject can be useful (eg. West is a legend in the world of Respiratory physiology.. His book is great)... otherwise Stars (Costanzo i think) is supposed to be good.
    **Note that these are all "in between" types of books. Bigger than BRS, but probably not the back-breakers that your professors suggest.

Good Luck!