Should I use this topic as an adversity or diversity essay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kenykj49

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
In my personal statement introduction, I talk about how I have escaped a major natural disaster in a foreign country unharmed and how it elicited my pursuit of a career in medicine. I have spent thousands of hours since in the emergency department as a scribe and a technician. I have also volunteered as an EMT with the Red Cross Disaster Health Services and responded to natural disasters across the country. I have become very familiar with death and suffering (I have seen some really fu***** tragic stuff).

I want to talk about the balancing act between being emotionally resilient enough to "get the job done" and keeping my humanity. In the ED I care for patients who do not always survive and then I have to walk into the next patient room with a smile on my face.

I also have various other reflections I could talk about such as:

- Bioethics of advanced directives/ethical decision making as a physician
- Accepting death and defeat (Think, Atul Gawande's "Being Mortal"). It is tough resuscitating a 97 y/o on a ventilator.
- Gratitude and appreciation of my health and my family's

Personally, these experiences have given me a "military-like" mindset. I generally approach things in life such as academics with the idea anything is possible with grit. I am a strong person, but I work hard to empathize with the very real human experiences of patients and people in general.

I could see how I could take this essay either way, and I'm not sure which would be best.

Members don't see this ad.

So far, it sounds as though you have a great personal statement. What, specifically, are you thinking about using for the adversity and diversity essays?

Reactions: 2 users