Should I void my mcat next week? No more January spots left!! HELP!

ljree1613

2+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2014
19
6
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi SDN,

I'm in a difficult situation and am desperate for advice! So I am scheduled for the Oct. 25 mcat exam date and I really do not feel prepared. I have studied on and off since the summer, but school and work got in the way of any constant studying. I have been consistently scoring around 29 on the aamc practice exams. At this point, it is too late to reschedule the exam, so I am considering whether or not I should void it. Two problems:

If I void: Since I'm way past the deadline, I can't see what available dates there are left for the old mcat in January. From what I've heard though, all of the spots are filled except a few in Guam (which I can't afford to go to). If I void this exam, I almost definitely will have to take the new MCAT, and as a college senior that has not taken any psychology/sociology courses-this is extremely worrisome. And also, if I void, I have absolutely no chance of the possibility of getting a decent score (and not having to worry about the new mcat at all).

If I don't void: I at least have the possibility of maybe getting a decent score, but I also risk getting a really low score. And if I end up having to take the new mcat (and considering it's supposed to be significantly harder), I may end up getting a lower score again. Even though the new mcat is scaled differently, med schools may look at the two low scores and since they aren't really sure how to gauge the new mcat, may just use my old mcat score and thus considerably reduce my chances of getting in.

Thanks for reading through this long post! What should I do?? Any advice would be appreciated!!!!
 

texan2414

5+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2013
1,200
733
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I would say you are better off scoring the test next week. If you are peaking at 29, there is no reason to assume that you cannot reach a 30 or 30+ next week.
A 29 is a GOOD score nevertheless.

Even if you're in the position of taking the new MCAT, you should know that adcoms next year are quite uncertain as to how they will interpret scores for their entering class. Also, the new 2015 scaled scores might be "lenient" given that AAMC only has 1.5 years worth of statistical data of testers, many of whom half-assed the trial section for the gift card.

Don't worry too much!!!! Try to decompress yourself before the test next week. Your calm and collected demeanor will probably make the difference between scoring your average (29) and possible a 31-32 next week. You have done all you can at this point and rationally speaking, worrying and panicking isn't really going to benefit you that much.

Take the test and score it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DanniD
Oct 10, 2014
245
41
AAMC said on their twitter page that they will be adding more seats (not dates) to areas in demand for the current January dates in the upcoming weeks. I think as long as they don't release all the seats at once, you (and I) might just have a chance at snatching a good in-country spot. I would assume that the spots are gonna be focused primarily in CA and then the northeast.
 

crazy87

7+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2010
233
103
Status
Medical Student
If you use your time wisely leading up to the test and continue to review stuff you missed, you could be fine for the exam coming up. Personally I was scoring avg 29 on AAMC and ended up w 2 points higher. This was in Jan. if you're a good test taker there's a chance you will do better on the real deal than practice. Just a random non scientific opinion/observation of mine. You know yourself best.
 
OP
L

ljree1613

2+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2014
19
6
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks guys, seriously!! I think I am going to go ahead and take it and see what happens :(
Wish me luck!
 

BlackBunny103

5+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2012
48
5
Don't void your exam. I would say give it a shot and see how well you do. As for January mcat spots, keep checking as people do cancel when they get their scores! I previously registered for Dec mcat and just managed to snatch a spot for Jan mcat in my city yesterday :soexcited:
 
Jun 15, 2014
1
0
It really depends...If you have a stellar GPA and EC's, I would say just take it (based on your averages, a 30/30+ is not out of reach). However, if your application has a lot of weight on this exam (i.e. need 34+ due to not-so-stellar GPA, etc.), then I would void and wait until you have adequate time to prepare. just my two cents worth of advice...

If it makes your feel any better, I will be joining the suffer fest with you :p
 
Jun 7, 2014
37
20
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I'm in the same position. I was really counting on my MCAT score to bring up my otherwise average application, but the test is this Saturday and I consistently score 29's on the AAMC exams. Is it better to cancel the exam and wait for the 2015 one, since all the seats are taken and if I had to retake the exam, it would be the 2015 one?