Should I volunteer at one hospital or two?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anathema

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm going to be volunteering at a Veteran's hospital but I'm also signed up for another volunteering opportunity at an adjacent hospital.

The Veteran's will give me good patient contact and I can start by the beginning of November while the other will have me start January at the earliest and I'll only be in the area until June. Should I just stick with my Veteran's?

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm going to be volunteering at a Veteran's hospital but I'm also signed up for another volunteering opportunity at an adjacent hospital.

The Veteran's will give me good patient contact and I can start by the beginning of November while the other will have me start January at the earliest and I'll only be in the area until June. Should I just stick with my Veteran's?

Do the one that is the most convenient and will also yield some good patient contact. You can do both as long as you can handle school and the time commitment that those will probably require.

Members don't see this ad :)
The other hospital I won't know about the detail until I go to the orientation, but they're right next to each other so distance is the same. Volunteering there for only 6 months seems kind of pointless but might be a good backup if the Veteran's doesn't give me that great of patient contact.

Other hassle is the orientation at the "other hospital" is tomorrow at 5pm while the other two possible orientations are days of exams or too late in time. Kind of inclined to not go to this orientation, but I'm afraid it'll bite me in the ass.

The other hospital I won't know about the detail until I go to the orientation, but they're right next to each other so distance is the same. Volunteering there for only 6 months seems kind of pointless but might be a good backup if the Veteran's doesn't give me that great of patient contact.

Other hassle is the orientation at the "other hospital" is tomorrow at 5pm while the other two possible orientations are days of exams or too late in time. Kind of inclined to not go to this orientation, but I'm afraid it'll bite me in the ass.

Well it can't hurt to go to the orientation and see what the other experience is all about, right? Go, and if you don't like it/the other experience is sufficient, just don't do it, right?

Well it can't hurt to go to the orientation and see what the other experience is all about, right? Go, and if you don't like it/the other experience is sufficient, just don't do it, right?

Sounds like the best approach. I'm more so worried if I look like a scumbag applicant. Truth be told I'm doing the second hospital to get more patient contact in even if it's only for one semester, but will adcomms look at me as some desperate applicant? I'll probably be able to get 128 hours in at the Veteran's alone by June and I have other patient contact (only about 20 hours) from other activities.

Sounds like the best approach. I'm more so worried if I look like a scumbag applicant. Truth be told I'm doing the second hospital to get more patient contact in even if it's only for one semester, but will adcomms look at me as some desperate applicant? I'll probably be able to get 128 hours in at the Veteran's alone by June and I have other patient contact (only about 20 hours) from other activities.

Eh, screw what adcoms think. If you spend too much time trying to think of what they're thinking about you, you'll make yourself crazy. Just do what you want. I think the important thing is that you're getting quality clinical experience, so think about it in terms of quality instead of quantity. That said, more patient contact could be a good thing if you think it would be helpful/you think it would be interesting. Do what you want. :p