Should I wait a cycle? Just starting to get clinical/shadowing now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

resiroth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
GPA: 3.8, would be 3.9 without first semester freshman year.

MCAT: Unknown (taking June 20) but I test VERY well in general (1500/1600 SAT/AP/subject tests) + All As in bio/physics/gen/ochem and I go to a pretty good university.

Research: 1 year +

Minimal EC: (1 club), 5 years weight training 3 hours a week, but not on a team so it's more of a "here's something I do in my time" thing. In reality I'm a bit of an autodidact so I enjoy learning things on my own, but I know that doesn't look good in apps.

Lack of shadowing/clinical.

I am planning on shadowing over spring break and continuing to shadow throughout the rest of the semester at a couple local practices. If I apply this cycle I am thinking about applying June 20ish because that way both would be complete by July 20. I'd be very fast returning secondaries. I would be volunteering after graduation (early may) up until I apply which would be ~6 weeks if I apply June 20.

My pre-med advisor says if I am applying this cycle to wait until mid-July to build up more clinical/shadowing, but this seems late to me.

The other option I am entertaining is a gap year so that by application time I would have 2 years research and 1 year clinical. I'd also probably be able to present at a conference by then. I am a California applicant. If I took a gap year would I stand a chance at UCs? I don't really want to take a gap year, but I don't want to jeopardize all my work and be a reapplicant just because I'm eager. I don't mind going to a med school that's ranked lower/in a worse location etc. but if taking a gap year would allow me to have a real shot at a UC that would be a nice bonus.

Take the gap year. You have basically no ECs other than research. You need to interact with people. Weight training is nice but not likely to come up ever, and really, 3 hours/week is not much. To be honest I think you have very little chance anywhere without a gap year focused on clinical opportunities. Have you done any volunteering? Service to others would help you too. Get some shadowing, some volunteering. A year of research is fine, and a conference is good, but those don't stand on their own without clinical and service experience.

UCs have different missions, but I think you need the gap year to even be considered.

I agree that you should take the gap year to develop a rich pattern of activities that demonstrates who you are. Engage in activities besides the clinical volunteering that require people skills, like some nonmedical community service that helps the poor, ideally leading to a leadership position where you manage (groups of) peers to get a job done. Teaching is another EC that is well regarded. You can get a two-fer by teaching English to immigrants, or helping to coach a team (or even HS weight trainers), or tutoring in a poor high school district.

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone is going to say to take a gap year, which is not the wrong answer-- but I think WAMC can be too conservative. Remember the opportunity cost of a year of doctor money, and weigh that against the possibility of having to reapply. It's easier to say "wait" on someone else's behalf.

I see your point about saying wait on someone else's behalf however the difference between going to the 1 medical school I might get into (and maybe paying ~70k+ for) in a mediocre location vs getting into a couple of medical schools, some which might be ~60k is a pretty large difference. I just don't know how much of an impact the rest of this semester shadowing a couple of doctors, 1 summer of volunteering/maybe research, December break volunteering and then a sort of "I'll be continuing to do this" -type thing on the AMCAS would really help. Waiting 2 years would be too much I think for my parents to support and I'm already reluctant (but begrudgingly accepting the need) to wait 1 year.

My main issue is that I honestly doubt I'll be able to get clinical volunteering in senior year in as my efforts this past month have been completely fruitless.

I would think about what is most likely to happen with this kind of thing:
Are you going to: crush the MCAT (even though taking the MCAT and taking the SATs are very different beasts),
and get into your ideal school (despite not being at the head of the cycle, and not having much in the way of ECs)?

If you don't get in, now you have to reapply to these same dream schools, which I've gathered is not a small thing.

Applying next cycle:
If you realize you aren't prepped for the MCAT you can reschedule, you can put your app in June 1, you have more EC's, and maybe some money in your pocket from working during your gap year.

Yeah I know the SAT =/= MCAT but still they're both standardized tests which are reasonably long which is a problem for some people and I don't think it will be for me.

I started volunteering yesterday and it is EXTREMELY different from my experiences in early high school. Much more autonomous and flexible.

I'm assuming that still isn't enough time before June 20 however so I guess I'll be taking a gap year.

I'll probably get flamed for this but, as long as you were a biology/chemistry major and got mostly A's in prereq courses... MCAT = SAT, basically. It's harder, but you're also 4 years older and have been studying this stuff in depth. Some people just "know" how to take multiple choice standardized tests. They see the inference behind the VR questions, and can understand why one answer is "more right" than the other. If you did well on the SATs without extensive prep, then WITH some legitimate prep, the odds are in your favor.

Agreed with most of the other people here... The gap year is a decision only you can make. You have to weigh a bunch of variable that are impossible to weigh objectively. But if you don't think you're going to get substantial clinical experience, might be the right decision to go for it.

A lot of this changes if you get less than a 32 on the MCAT, and it changes dramatically if you get less than a 30.

If you ask people who have taken gap years, you'll find that hardly anyone regrets it. Most people enjoy the short break between college and med school where they can pursue whatever they want, and as long as you keep up with volunteering, shadowing, etc, it will only benefit your application.