Should I wait a year or can I apply next cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dtx_17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
With TMDSAS's match yesterday I have officially (well, 90% - I have one OOS DO interview coming up in 4 days) decided I need to reapply.

At this point, I'm not sure if I'm being realistic that I can get in to school next year as a reapplication or if I should wait one more year to really buff it up some more. Any advice/opinions are welcome on what to improve

cGPA: 3.74
sGPA: AACOMAS 3.58, TMDSAS 3.4 (+/- made it pretty variable)

ECs:
> 1500+ hours scribing - still doing it now
> ~100 hours regular volunteer work both in and out of clinical settings through college (mentoring elementary school kiddos, community service, hospice, church volunteering)
> medical mission to Kenya
> ~50 hours shadowing various specialties from neonatology to radiology
> heavy involvement and leadership in a non-health organization, slightly less heavy but consistent involvement in a pre-health organization throughout college

MCAT: 505

LOR: committee letter from my school, 2 extra letters from an MD and a DO I worked with as a scribe

This cycle I applied to TMDSAS as a TX resident, but I sent in my primaries in August - I believe this was the biggest factor that held me back
I applied to 4 DO schools and have 1 interview coming up.

I am studying for my MCAT right now and hopefully can raise the score to ~510. Do you think if I can do that AND submit my primaries for TMDSAS in May, I have a shot next cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

If you increase your MCAT to 510 you would have an increased chance at the Texas schools. However, you should also apply broadly to at least 8 DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
TX medical schools love high GPAs. Your cGPA is sufficient, but your sGPA is a bit low. Have you graduated? Can you do a DIY post-bac in some upper level science courses to increase that sGPA?

This will surely increase your chances for TX interviews along with a second 510+ MCAT score.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You still have another interview coming up, so don't lose all hope just yet!

Improving your MCAT to 510+ and adding some more non-clinical community service (food bank, soup kitchen, Habitat for Humanity, etc.) could increase your competitiveness for the Texas schools, in my opinion. You're a solid candidate for DO schools, so I would suggest including more of those (~10 or 15), if you need to re-apply.

As for whether you should re-apply immediately or wait a cycle, I think it really depends on the schools you want/are willing to attend. If you're okay with DO schools, I think reapplying next cycle with an earlier application and a broader school list will be fine. If you want the Texas MD schools, it comes down to the MCAT score, and that may take more time to fully prepare for.

Reactions: 1 users
TX medical schools love high GPAs. Your cGPA is sufficient, but your sGPA is a bit low. Have you graduated? Can you do a DIY post-bac in some upper level science courses to increase that sGPA?

This will surely increase your chances for TX interviews along with a second 510+ MCAT score.

I guess if it really came down to it, I could take post bacc, but my main focus right now is trying to save money rather than spend it. Going through some financial struggle right now so I have to prioritize what I really want to focus on and improve. My main aim is to stay in the DFW area if I go to a TX school so TCOM is pretty high up there for where I want to attend

You still have another interview coming up, so don't lose all hope just yet!

Improving your MCAT to 510+ and adding some more non-clinical community service (food bank, soup kitchen, Habitat for Humanity, etc.) could increase your competitiveness for the Texas schools, in my opinion. You're a solid candidate for DO schools, so I would suggest including more of those (~10 or 15), if you need to re-apply.

As for whether you should re-apply immediately or wait a cycle, I think it really depends on the schools you want/are willing to attend. If you're okay with DO schools, I think reapplying next cycle with an earlier application and a broader school list will be fine. If you want the Texas MD schools, it comes down to the MCAT score, and that may take more time to fully prepare for.
When you say DO, do you also include TCOM? I would love to attend there

When you say DO, do you also include TCOM? I would love to attend there
I'm not as familiar with TMDSAS, but it seems as though they calculate sGPA in a different manner than AACOMAS? Did you apply to TCOM this time around? From looking at their website, the 2017 Entering Class had a cGPA of 3.63, which you are competitive for, and a sGPA of 3.53, which you are below. Your current MCAT (505) is also slightly below their average of 506. Which option would you rather prefer/more affordable for you: (1) DIY Post-bac for sGPA improvement or (2) Retake MCAT for 510+?

I'm not as familiar with TMDSAS, but it seems as though they calculate sGPA in a different manner than AACOMAS? Did you apply to TCOM this time around? From looking at their website, the 2017 Entering Class had a cGPA of 3.63, which you are competitive for, and a sGPA of 3.53, which you are below. Your current MCAT (505) is also slightly below their average of 506. Which option would you rather prefer/more affordable for you: (1) DIY Post-bac for sGPA improvement or (2) Retake MCAT for 510+?
it would be a lot less expensive to retake the MCAT. I have been slowly studying for the last month, in anticipation of reapplying, and will be taking it in April.

I guess if it really came down to it, I could take post bacc, but my main focus right now is trying to save money rather than spend it. Going through some financial struggle right now so I have to prioritize what I really want to focus on and improve. My main aim is to stay in the DFW area if I go to a TX school so TCOM is pretty high up there for where I want to attend

I think your numbers are fine for TCOM. I know several with lower numbers that are in my class, including one guy with a sub 3 sGPA and a sub 3.3 cGPA.

If I were in your shoe, I would do exactly what you intended which is to retake MCAT and apply early. I would also look at all of my letters and have fresh eyes on them. I applied in June or something last year and I already felt behind. I think you're right about applying early!

My main aim is to stay in the DFW area if I go to a TX school so TCOM is pretty high up there for where I want to attend

I understand and can appreciate your financial struggles. For the past several years, I have earned zero income while I took post-bacc courses and studied for my MCAT, etc. I did it by sacrificing going out with friends to eat, movies, whatever I needed to do to make it work. But the approach that I quoted above is the wrong approach. Your main goal/aim should be to get into ONE of the TX medicals schools. If TCOM or UTSW falls into your lap, then that's wonderful.

In order to do so and since you are reapplying, you will need to make it your best and last app. Therefore, while there are current students at TCOM or other TX medical with below average GPAs or below average MCATS for their particular schools, a VAST majority have metrics at or above the average. Every year, the matriculates' metrics are higher and higher.

Being a re applicant, you will be at a disadvantage. Therefore, why chance/risk/gamble again based on the off chance that you will be luckier the 2nd time around with just one improvement in your metrics (improved MCAT perhaps)? Why not kill two birds with one stone by having an improved sGPA and a second 510+ MCAT. If this involves taking a gap year, then do so to improve your chances for success and lessen the chance that you will need to apply a 3rd time.

That's my $0.02. GL!

I think your numbers are fine for TCOM. I know several with lower numbers that are in my class, including one guy with a sub 3 sGPA and a sub 3.3 cGPA.

If I were in your shoe, I would do exactly what you intended which is to retake MCAT and apply early. I would also look at all of my letters and have fresh eyes on them. I applied in June or something last year and I already felt behind. I think you're right about applying early!

Thank you! I'll do just that :)

I understand and can appreciate your financial struggles. For the past several years, I have earned zero income while I took post-bacc courses and studied for my MCAT, etc. I did it by sacrificing going out with friends to eat, movies, whatever I needed to do to make it work. But the approach that I quoted above is the wrong approach. Your main goal/aim should be to get into ONE of the TX medicals schools. If TCOM or UTSW falls into your lap, then that's wonderful.

In order to do so and since you are reapplying, you will need to make it your best and last app. Therefore, while there are current students at TCOM or other TX medical with below average GPAs or below average MCATS for their particular schools, a VAST majority have metrics at or above the average. Every year, the matriculates' metrics are higher and higher.

Being a re applicant, you will be at a disadvantage. Therefore, why chance/risk/gamble again based on the off chance that you will be luckier the 2nd time around with just one improvement in your metrics (improved MCAT perhaps)? Why not kill two birds with one stone by having an improved sGPA and a second 510+ MCAT. If this involves taking a gap year, then do so to improve your chances for success and lessen the chance that you will need to apply a 3rd time.

That's my $0.02. GL!

Yeah, I understand what you mean. I think I used the word "aim" poorly - if TCOM, UTSW, or TCU/UNT's new joint school doesn't work out, but I get into a different Texas school, I'll be absolutely over the moon! My desire to stay in Dallas comes from other, non-medical related factors and is pure wishful thinking.
From a financial aspect, it would be hard for me to take more science classes. It goes beyond sacrificing going out with friends; it involves being a contributor to my family income. Tough luck I suppose but that's my situation. But if I want to reapply next year, taking classes this fall won't help me GPA-wise, right?

But if I want to reapply next year, taking classes this fall won't help me GPA-wise, right?

Assuming you mean you want to reapply on May 2018, then taking Fall 2018 classes won't help you GPA-wise during the period when most (73%) of TX interview invites are sent out (June-Aug).

Do what you believe will be your best shot.

All the best...