Should I wait another year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SMNAWM15

pre-med
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does not taking genetics and biochem before the MCAT put me at a serious disadvantage?

--> yes

If you can hold off on taking your "epidemiology and human physiology" classes for later, I think you should. Yeah its required for your major, but then you can still complete it for your major later on before you graduate. These are less relevant to the MCAT and you should definitely take genetics + biochem before you take the MCATs.

Does not taking genetics and biochem before the MCAT put me at a serious disadvantage?

--> yes

If you can hold off on taking your "epidemiology and human physiology" classes for later, I think you should. Yeah its required for your major, but then you can still complete it for your major later on before you graduate. These are less relevant to the MCAT and you should definitely take genetics + biochem before you take the MCATs.

genetics and biochem are not required for the mcat. there are organic chemistry topics on the test usually, which come from the prereq of 1 year of organic chemistry, not biochem.

genetics isn't required for the mcat as well, because the depth of genetics on the mcat can be solved using the most basic mendelian or other topics that were taught in the 1 year of biology.

i am not saying these classes won't help you, because obviously they probably will help with those specific questions, but in all honesty you don't need to take either of these courses to succeed on the mcat.