Should I wait one year or apply this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sai7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm a junior right now at a top private school. I'm not sure whether or not I should apply this year. I thought I was competitive but my premed committee keeps telling me to raise my GPA so I don't know what to think anymore.
Here's how its looking right now. I'm looking for some opinions on my situation.

Biochem Major
cum GPA 3.66 (it would be 3.72 if I waited until after senior year)
sci GPA 3.70 (it would be 3.74 if I waited until after senior year)

MCAT: PS 13, VR 10, BS 12 R

ECs:

-2 years Emergency department volunteer in two different settings (~250 hours)
-2 years clinical research (one second author publication, another one in the works)
-1 summer of a separate clincal research program (no pub)
-2 years of service to the elderly through a school program
-1 semester Biochem Research (counted for credit)
-1 summer of translational research
-Multiple leadership positions (executive board, editor of school journal, co-chair of a committee)
-100 hours of shadowing ED physicians
-Cultural dance team for 3 years
-No teaching ECs

I should have above avg recs hopefully

What schools should I be looking at? Would it be reasonable to aim high while at the same time applying to all my new york state schools (all SUNYs)? I'm a NYS resident.

Members don't see this ad.

I expect your advisors think you have the potential to get into some of the more selective med schools if you can get your GPA above the median for those accepted. But you'd be fine to apply now if you aren't overly ambitious or you're in a hurry.

You look to have a very, very nice application. Another year of high grades, research, maybe a teaching/tutoring/TAing activity, would make your application even shinier.

The only suggestion I'd make if you decide to proceed with an application cycle would be to first shadow a primary care doctor in an office to get a broader perspective on becoming a physician (because adcomms like to see that you've gotten a view of medicine from the trenches).

Biochem Major

I can't see an increase of .04 or .06 affecting whether or not you get in to a certain school. And your ECs seem more than sufficient for state schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Catalystik and funklab. I guess my most major concern was whether that 0.06 increase in my gpa would be significant. I want to try to stay in or around New York so I will be applying to some selective like Cornell, Columbia, and MSSM. I know these schools look for fit and are sometimes random but how are my chances at these school given my current stats and ec's.

I forgot to mention that my gpa shows an upward trend too.
Freshman year 3.50
Sophomore year 3.65
Junior year 3.90

This may seem like a stupid question but why is there such a huge difference between the acceptee averages and matriculants. Where can those higher gpa applicants possibly be going? interesting...

Hello all,

I'm a junior right now at a top private school. I'm not sure whether or not I should apply this year. I thought I was competitive but my premed committee keeps telling me to raise my GPA so I don't know what to think anymore.
Here's how its looking right now. I'm looking for some opinions on my situation.

Biochem Major

MCAT: PS 13, VR 10, BS 12 R

ECs:

-2 years Emergency department volunteer in two different settings (~250 hours)
-2 years clinical research (one second author publication, another one in the works)
-1 summer of a separate clincal research program (no pub)
-2 years of service to the elderly through a school program
-1 semester Biochem Research (counted for credit)
-1 summer of translational research
-Multiple leadership positions (executive board, editor of school journal, co-chair of a committee)
-100 hours of shadowing ED physicians
-Cultural dance team for 3 years
-No teaching ECs

I should have above avg recs hopefully

What schools should I be looking at? Would it be reasonable to aim high while at the same time applying to all my new york state schools (all SUNYs)? I'm a NYS resident.

Sorry for the length of this but I thought I'd put it all out there. It is always best to apply across the board...go for a few top schools, but have more mid-range and safety schools. As for that .06 raise in GPA, it isn't going to mean much at all. You obviously are not far off of the numbers for those NYC schools so you have a shot at these schools and are more than qualified for mid-level schools and safety schools. And remember, these are median numbers, so you definitely fall into the range of numbers they accept. Plus you have a great upward trend in gpa, so unless you plan on getting a 3.9-4.0 your senior year, you do not want to chance getting lower. Although you would still have a great gpa, adcoms hate a declining trend, even for one year. You have everything you need to get into med school. You have covered all of your bases as far as clincal shadowing, research, leadership positions, and community service, a great gpa, and a great mcat. The only thing I don't see much of are extracurricular activities; however, I am guessing that your leadership positions are in ECs. The only unknowns are your LORs, your personal statement, and secondary essays. If any of these are not up to par, you may have some trouble. This whole admissions process is VERY subjective and you can be rejected for the smallest things so make sure those unknowns are perfect (obviously you have no control over LORs). Make your personal statement unique (i.e. dont just talk about things that adcoms can see in other parts of your app) and show some passion for medicine. As for your secondaries, be sure to cater your essays to each school's mission. This is so important and often overlooked. For example, if you apply to an HBCU (historically Black college or university), like meharry or howard, and dont show interest in serving underserved communities...automatic rejection. The best way to avoid not fitting the mission is to choose schools whose missions fit what you are passionate about. Hope this helps. Good luck.