Should I Wait to Reapply or apply next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bread_Boi

Reaction score
Sorry if this is long! - ORM, SES EO2, qualified for FAP

I’m trying to decide if I want to reapply to medical school the next cycle in 2019 if I end up not matriculating this current cycle, or if I should wait a year to apply in 2020.

I currently attend a state school in the Southeast US with state medical schools with high in-state bias.

I am graduating this May with a BS Biology degree

uGPA: 3.83 (Upward trend; 3.55 Freshman year to a 4.0 Senior year)

sGPA: 3.77

MCAT – 509 (79%) – (C/P, CARS, B/B, P/S) – 128, 125, 129, 127

Nonclinical Volunteering: 120 hours with a pre-health organization (some from the same event, while the others are sporadic); I was also a violin tutor with my former church providing free lessons at times, especially for those w/o private teachers or violins of their own for about 250 hours over 4 years (started in high school, continued in college).

Clinical Experience (work): Per diem CNA 350 hours over 9 months during Freshman Spring and Sophomore Fall terms.

Shadowing: I shadowed a Pediatrician for 46 hours all in one month.

Work nonclinical: Supplemental Instructor for four semesters, and I am doing my last semester now. I didn’t include the hours from when I volunteered to tutor students who weren’t able to go to my classes/sessions since they had work, other obligations. I’m thinking of adding these hours onto AMCAS in the description rather than taking up another slot.

Research: On AMCAS I put 400 hours over two years, but now that I’m starting my own project, it’s estimated to be up to 1,000 hours so far. From the 400 hours, I have two publications, but I was a middle author out of like 12-20 authors. Currently, I am working on a project that continues these projects, and I will be first author with a publication sometime when school ends (it isn’t one where I’ll be published in a school journal btw).

Leadership: Committee member that helped members find more volunteer opportunities for 1.5 years. I was also active in my former church, where I slowly gained promotions. From the oldest to most recent: orchestra director, choir director, song leader, and music director.

Other ECs: I was a TA for two different Introductory Biology courses. The hobbies I have are transcribing music/pieces with no sheet music online during my spare time. I’m also a regular runner. I ran a half-marathon, and I am planning to join a local running club.

This cycle: I applied to 20 schools, received two II from my state schools, rejected from one of those and I am still waiting to hear from the other interview. I was put on hold at three schools, rejected from four so far. I submitted 10 secondaries in late August, 3 in early September, 5 in late September, 1 in October, and 1 in November right before their deadline.

PS was read and drafted several times, looking back it appears as a generic PS. One of my interviewers asked me why I wanted to go to medicine despite reading my PS, which means my PS doesn’t answer this question.

Secondaries were rushed since I submitted my primary in mid-July, verified mid-August, and didn’t pre-write any of the essays.

I didn’t apply to any DO schools, but I clearly should have.

Current course load is very light since I took care of upper division classes my junior year and all my summers. The only thing taking my time is working on my manuscript, so I have much more time to volunteer, work on other ECs, etc.

I have recently attended an orientation to teach refugees/local community members English. This might go well with my interests on teaching (Supplemental instruction, TA, tutoring, etc.) I have already signed up for about 80 hours from now until May. This doesn’t include any hours from April, Spring break, or when the semester ends, so I am ideally planning for 100 hours by then. I am planning to continue this experience well into next year since I truly like this experience. On the primary, I intend to be super conservative with how many projected hours I put (about 1 hour/week until next year or so, despite already doing 6-12 hours/week). I unfortunately didn’t even know about this until recently.

I am scheduled to attend orientation to volunteer in a hospice, and I am also hoping to volunteer until application time in June. I also think this will match will with my experiences as a CNA.

I have already set up a schedule to shadow a DO doctor in April for two hours a week. I am currently looking to shadow another DO doctor in March and an MD doctor in May. Cold calling is the only way that works for me since I don’t have any connections.

School list primarily consisted of low- to mid-tier MD schools, again no DO schools.

Sorry if this is long, but as long as I improve my nonclinical/clinical experiences to show commitment to patient care, although it doesn’t show long-term commitment, my clinical experiences, and shadow a few more doctors, all before June comes along, am I able to apply immediately to the next cycle without incurring a huge disadvantage? I intend to primarily apply to DO schools and any MD schools I didn’t end up sending my primary too or I applied super late too. Of course, I intend to write a response to how I spent my gap year if any schools’ secondaries ask this question.

Lastly, I don’t mind taking one gap year, since I will continue volunteering in both new experiences, part-time work, travel, etc. I really want to avoid two gap years.

Thanks for everything!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Which schools did you apply to ?

U VM
U Toledo
NYMC
Creighton
Albany
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
MCW
Wayne State
Tulane
Loyola
Loma Linda (Complete in November)
Netter
Seton Hall
EVMS
Oakland-B
GWU
The Alabama state schools

Members don't see this ad :)
You are fine to reapply this year as long as you apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July. You should also apply to at least 6 DO schools and you are competitive for all DO schools. I suggest these MD schools:
Your Alabama state schools
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU-UNTHSC (new school)
Kaiser (new school)
California University
Loma Linda

Reactions: 1 user
TBH it seems like you already know what all your issues are. These are all things that you can sort between now and June (and seems like you're well on your way), so I'd say just go for it again (provided you actually get all of those things done). I'm not an adcom or anything, but seeing no glaring holes between what you've already done and your plan for the next 3+ mo.

Edit: only thing I'd maaaaaybe add-- start writing your PS and secondaries now. Make your ps less generic-- you've got some really cool experiences, use those to show why you want to be a doc and/or why you'd be a good doc. Use prompts for last year and get to it now. Saves you time and makes everything less rushed over the summer.

Reactions: 1 user
So I got feedback from one of the schools I interviewed at that pretty much said to rewrite my PS, shadow more doctors, gain more clinical experience, and improve my interview performance since it was below average. Overall it didn't seem like I was committed to medicine. LORs were good. I'm following the plan so far by volunteering in a hospice and with ESL while shadowing three doctors (2 DO/1 MD). I know on AMCAS I can put projected hours to show some continuity. I was told I could reapply if I get most of those done, but wait a year if not. Hopefully the next cycle will turn out differently!

Thanks ya'll!

Edit: I'm just worried I look like an extreme box checker at this point.

So I got feedback from one of the schools I interviewed at that pretty much said to rewrite my PS, shadow more doctors, gain more clinical experience, and improve my interview performance since it was below average. Overall it didn't seem like I was committed to medicine. LORs were good. I'm following the plan so far by volunteering in a hospice and with ESL while shadowing three doctors (2 DO/1 MD). I know on AMCAS I can put projected hours to show some continuity. I was told I could reapply if I get most of those done, but wait a year if not. Hopefully the next cycle will turn out differently!

Thanks ya'll!

Edit: I'm just worried I look like an extreme box checker at this point.

Ehh, a little. But to win, you gotta play the game a little...

If it's something that actually bothers you, do something non-clinical that's not relates to medicine. Music is a good start, I'd say explore that.

Bro, the whole name of the game is checking boxes. It is what you have to do. It is all a big test to see what lengths you will go to prove yourself. For every med school seat there are about 30-40 people vying for it. You just have to hope luck falls on your side. If you ask any med student why they got picked they will shrug their shoulders and say they have no idea why.

Well, two months later and accepted off the waitlist! That was a close one!