Should I wait to submit application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoihaie

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Our lab is currently preparing the manuscript for submission of a paper of which I'm 3rd author. Should I wait till the paper has been accepted before turning in my app? Not sure how long it would take, but we have an editor for PNAS (he's a PI that works closely with my lab and also an author on the paper) that has said he'll get us through without much trouble. He's done this for us in the past as well. Probably be take like 3-4 weeks from now?

My stats aren't that great, 3.43 and 32, so not sure if I should wait or submit early.

If I submit my primaries before the paper is published, can I send update letters even before secondaries arrive? or should I just mention that on secondaries if there's chance to do so?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My thought would be to submit early, even without the paper. If the paper has been submitted when you send in the primary, you could include it on the primary as "submitted, publication pending" or something like that, and then mention it in secondaries/update laters once it's accepted. Delays happen all the time, so I'm not sure I'd be comfortable hedging my bets on an editor who thinks it'll take 3-4 weeks. I don't think it's such a make-or-break part of your application that waiting until July or August for that one piece would be worth it if a delay happened.

Submit early. It's far more advantageous for you to submit early and add the publication on secondary essays, update letters, or interviews when it is published, than to delay the submission of your application in the hopes that it will be published fairly quickly. And you're 3rd author, which, while good, is not a groundbreaking achievement that would make or break your application.

Our lab is currently preparing the manuscript for submission of a paper of which I'm 3rd author. Should I wait till the paper has been accepted before turning in my app? Not sure how long it would take, but we have an editor for PNAS (he's a PI that works closely with my lab and also an author on the paper) that has said he'll get us through without much trouble. He's done this for us in the past as well. Probably be take like 3-4 weeks from now?

My stats aren't that great, 3.43 and 32, so not sure if I should wait or submit early.

If I submit my primaries before the paper is published, can I send update letters even before secondaries arrive? or should I just mention that on secondaries if there's chance to do so?

Don't wait to submit. You never know how long these things will actually take. You might not have your paper accepted for another 2 months depending on reviewer comments. Just update schools later on.