Jul 1, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
To take my science pre reqs when I get to a university, I'm currently in CC and plan on transferring to UF next year.

Jun 6, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Yes, I would wait. Taking the science pre-reqs at a Univesity is > Community College. Most ADCOMS won't look down upon classes at Community College as long as they aren't science pre-requisites.

Dotsin

The Hard Way
Jul 5, 2009
Illinois
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm taking Biollogy and Chenistry at CC......Sorry 1)I didnt know it was looked down upon 2) It's all I could afford
I think I will just have to impress with my upper level Chem and Bio classes at University level

Last edited:

Cro

lulz
Apr 18, 2009
Florida
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm taking Biollogy and Chenistry at CC......Sorry 1)I didnt know it was looked down upon 2) It's all I could afford
I think I will just have to impress with my upper level Chem and Bio classes at University level
That should be fine. Just make sure that you perform well at the university level, otherwise the prerequisites at cc may throw a red flag.

As a general rule of thumb, it is much better to take prerequisites at a four year university rather than a community college.

Jun 6, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Yea, there is really nothing you can do if you are already taking them now. Rock the University classes, get good EC's and rock your MCAt and you will be fine!

sully677

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Don't take pre-reqs at a CC...Some schools will look upon that as a negative.

Solfeggio

Truth in a sea of BS
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Ah crud...
I already have my Bachelor's, but I started taking the science prerequisites this summer at my local community college. So far I've taken Bio 1 and Chem 1, and I'm currently taking Chem 2. I'm already getting in really good with the entire science department professors there too (a majority of whom are very friendly, open and personal compared to university professors I've talked to. In the makings for some recomendation letters.)

It seems as though too many good things are going on for me at the community college to just drop it entirely. I'm getting some research exposure, and even earned a paying possition as the supplemental instruction leader for the anatomy and physiology course. Good chance I'm going to run for office in the college's pre-AMSA chapter too. I wonder if it's possible to attend a community college and university at the same time?

Should I just cut my losses and apply for the university 50+ miles away to finish off the remaining pre requisites? I still need to take physics 1-2, oranic chm 1-2, and bio 2. Although, the community college I'm at now has a course titled 'University Physics 1 & 2' and they are each 5 credit hours long with a lab. I'm already signed up for the Fall, but drastic measures can be taken. I'm aiminig high here...

Last edited: