Should I watch Chads or continue Destroyer? Scoring poorly on gen chem practice tests

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RYost234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I followed Ari's study plan with Mike's videos, and then I jumped into Destroyer and the practice tests on Bootcamp.

On Bootcamp test 6 + 7, I got 17. When I'm working on Destroyer, I am able to solve about 5/25 correctly.

I'm planning on taking the DAT early/mid August.

Would it be more beneficial to run though Chads, watching 2 chapters a day, or to continue the practice tests and Destroyer?

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I followed Ari's study plan with Mike's videos, and then I jumped into Destroyer and the practice tests on Bootcamp.

On Bootcamp test 6 + 7, I got 17. When I'm working on Destroyer, I am able to solve about 5/25 correctly.

I'm planning on taking the DAT early/mid August.

Would it be more beneficial to run though Chads, watching 2 chapters a day, or to continue the practice tests and Destroyer?

Thanks!!!
Well, why are you missing the questions? Is it information you truly did not know or simple mistakes? Keep in mind Destroyer is designed to be tougher. So, on your first run through, it is normal to miss a lot of questions. Just make sure you are learning from those mistakes. A common method is to combine the use of flashcards with Destroyer. Make a card for the questions you miss and quiz yourself occasionally to keep that information fresh.

I would say if you're scoring 16-17's constantly on BC, then you need to focus more on fundamentals before jumping to destroyer.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, why are you missing the questions? Is it information you truly did not know or simple mistakes? Keep in mind Destroyer is designed to be tougher. So, on your first run through, it is normal to miss a lot of questions. Just make sure you are learning from those mistakes. A common method is to combine the use of flashcards with Destroyer. Make a card for the questions you miss and quiz yourself occasionally to keep that information fresh.

On the practice tests, I'd say I get 4-5 wrong from simple mistakes, and then some wrong from not being able to apply the equations properly. Destroyer on the other hand, I usually don't know where to begin. I think I might delay my Ari schedule for gen chem and spend a week watching Chad's and reevaluate

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say if you're scoring 16-17's constantly on BC, then you need to focus more on fundamentals before jumping to destroyer.

I believe so too. I think the biggest help I need is with questions involving equations, so I'm hoping Chad can help out there.

When you take your bootcamp exam, you should receive a break down of the problems and areas you are getting wrong.

When I was studying for the DAT, I would go straight to YouTube (as I had already gone through chad’s) and find lessons and practice questions about the specific problems I got wrong.

It is time consuming and uncomfortable, but by addressing your weaknesses will boost your scores considerably.

Edit to add - if equations are your problem - check out khan academy for practice questions

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
When you take your bootcamp exam, you should receive a break down of the problems and areas you are getting wrong.

When I was studying for the DAT, I would go straight to YouTube (as I had already gone through chad’s) and find lessons and practice questions about the specific problems I got wrong.

It is time consuming and uncomfortable, but by addressing your weaknesses will boost your scores considerably.

Edit to add - if equations are your problem - check out khan academy for practice questions

Thanks for commenting!

I just watched the first chapter of Chad, and I feel like his quizzes do an awesome job at seeing what needs to be worked on. When I finish his week long review, I am definitely going to do what you mentioned. Do you have any YouTube channels in particular that you like? Also, good idea about Khan