Should I Withdraw?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

konst

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently enrolled in a summer Physics I course. I didn't take physics in high school, so I was taking the course with no prior knowledge. I enrolled at a school that is well renowned for their physics department with the assumption that medical schools don't like when you take pre-reqs at community college. However, the fast pace and rigor of the course, along with certain COVID circumstances have left me hovering around the D-C grade range. I am currently at 3.6 GPA, and I don't want it to tank due to a D or C, so I was highly considering withdrawing from the course, and taking it next semester at my undergraduate institution. I know that medical schools look down on W's, but I have never dropped a course before, and I am highly certain that I'll be able to recieve an A or B+ if I retake the course with the foundations I received this summer. I just wanted to get some advice from you guys on what I should do.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

This is what a 'W' should be used for and you should save yourself the stress if you cannot pull it up to a suitable grade. I'm sure you will bust your hump to make sure you score well in the course under a normal, non-summer pace.

Reactions: 3 users
Drop it. Easier to get interviews and explain a “W” on your transcript than to play catch-up with a lower GPA

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’d withdraw. A single W on a summer transcript looks much better than a D that’ll drop your GPA.

Reactions: 1 users
I am currently enrolled in a summer Physics I course. I didn't take physics in high school, so I was taking the course with no prior knowledge. I enrolled at a school that is well renowned for their physics department with the assumption that medical schools don't like when you take pre-reqs at community college. However, the fast pace and rigor of the course, along with certain COVID circumstances have left me hovering around the D-C grade range. I am currently at 3.6 GPA, and I don't want it to tank due to a D or C, so I was highly considering withdrawing from the course, and taking it next semester at my undergraduate institution. I know that medical schools look down on W's, but I have never dropped a course before, and I am highly certain that I'll be able to recieve an A or B+ if I retake the course with the foundations I received this summer. I just wanted to get some advice from you guys on what I should do.

Thanks
Yes.

Reactions: 1 users