Medical Should I work another year as a teacher or take out loans to do a DIY post-bacc as a low GPA/high MCAT URM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a black female from a top ten school with a 3.1 cGpa/3.00sGpa and a 514 MCAT score (Biology/Neuroscience major). The low GPA was due to a bout of depression. Unfortunately, there was not an upward trend. I'm hoping to apply to med school next summer for a Fall 2021 matriculation.

I've been teaching for 2 years now, and I have an offer to teach at another school this year. But, after reading SDN advice, I planned on doing a DIY Post-Bac to focus on boosting my GPA. I have decent EC's from undergrad:
* shadowing (250hrs)
* research lab (2yrs/no pubs)
* teaching assistant (2semesters)
* captain of sports team (All-american athlete)
* volunteer at alzheimer's clinic (40hrs)
* homeless shelter volunteer (400hrs)
* tutoring (a ton)

The DIY post-bac would require private loans, which is not ideal (low-income family). But it could let me work on an upward trend in my GPA. Meanwhile, teaching would give me an income so I can minimize debt and help my family financially. I'd only be able to take 1 or 2 evening classes per semester, and it would be a very busy schedule.

I don't want to be screened out by schools because of my GPA, and I'd love to apply to few top/mid-tier schools if at all possible. I figure most of my list would be low-tier schools otherwise.

Should I continue to teach or take out the loans and aim for "GPA reinvention?" Any suggestions for schools that should be on my list would be great too!

@Goro @LizzyM I've heard great things about your advice! Any words of wisdom? I know the typical "rules" aren't always exactly the same for URM so I'm not sure how to gage where I stand. Thank you!!!

Try an app cycle and at the same time, do a DIY post-bac.
Target HBCs and your state schools, as well as most DO schools.

If you get no love, then work on more post-bac or SMP and then reapply.

Members don't see this ad.

@Goro thanks for the response!

What do you mean by "try an app cycle?" Are you saying I should try to apply now and also start taking classes this Summer/Fall?
I was told to avoid reapplication, so I just want to clarify.

And I'm assuming this means teaching is out of the question then?

Thanks again!
Yes, apply this cycle and see how it goes, while at the same time taking classes. As soon as you get grades from those, send updates to those schools you applied to that will accept updates.

If you want to teach, then do that for a year, save money, and apply next year. Med schools aren't going anywhere.

Also, develop your coping skills. You'll need them in med school.

Status
Not open for further replies.