Medical Should I worry if I cheated, but didn't receive an IA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I’m interested in applying to medical school in a few years but need advice. Two years ago during a pre req class, I cheated on 3 of the exams in the course. I didn’t go into the class, and exams, wanting to cheat but I had asked a colleague who took it a semester before me on how to study for the lab exams. He ended up sending me pictures of two of the lab exams which I used to study. The lab exams were exactly the same and I felt ashamed at the end of the semester. Our professor also reuses the same multiple choice questions for each lecture exam and another colleague somehow got the exact questions and shared them with me for another exam. I didn’t receive an IA but I can’t shake off this guilt that I cheated. The next semester I decided that I would never cheat again even if the opportunity presented itself. The next semester I actually did better on the second part of the series without cheating and felt idk proud? Idk what to do, I want to become a doctor so I can give back to my community, but I also know that medical schools need honest students to become honest doctors. Should I just start looking at other careers now or should I continue my dream to become a doctor. This has been weighing heavily on my mind for over a month now and really need some guidance. I feel I would’ve had a good shot at becoming a doctor but this whole situation I put myself in sucks.
You were never caught, right? So you didn't cheat.

Suggest you seek out your school's counseling center on how to deal with this, if it's making you question your commitment to medicine.

this is NOT giving medical advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, I wasn’t sure where to post. Do you think it’s best that I just move on past this? I know I won’t do anything that stupid again. Another worry I have is if I were accepted at a medical school, what If the colleague came out and tried to prove I cheated? That would mean id be kicked out with no way to repay all that debt. I wouldn’t want to live with that possibility always over my head. I’m sorry about all the questions.
You really do need to move on from this, and your getting outed scenario borders on fantasy.

Hello, I’m interested in applying to medical school in a few years but need advice. Two years ago during a pre req class, I cheated on 3 of the exams in the course. I didn’t go into the class, and exams, wanting to cheat but I had asked a colleague who took it a semester before me on how to study for the lab exams. He ended up sending me pictures of two of the lab exams which I used to study. The lab exams were exactly the same and I felt ashamed at the end of the semester. Our professor also reuses the same multiple choice questions for each lecture exam and another colleague somehow got the exact questions and shared them with me for another exam. I didn’t receive an IA but I can’t shake off this guilt that I cheated. The next semester I decided that I would never cheat again even if the opportunity presented itself. The next semester I actually did better on the second part of the series without cheating and felt idk proud? Idk what to do, I want to become a doctor so I can give back to my community, but I also know that medical schools need honest students to become honest doctors. Should I just start looking at other careers now or should I continue my dream to become a doctor. This has been weighing heavily on my mind for over a month now and really need some guidance. I feel I would’ve had a good shot at becoming a doctor but this whole situation I put myself in sucks.

Using old exams as a study tool is not cheating. Professors have an obligation to change their exams so that old exams can not be used to study the exact questions. You did not cheat. You may move past this.

I’m sorry last comment. I agree that professors should make new tests to prevent this. In my case, for the lab exams, the colleague sent me the exam and key. I have no idea how he got it though which worried me. It just happened to be the same exact exam from the term prior.

Right. Let me just copy and paste my exact response again.

Using old exams as a study tool is not cheating. Professors have an obligation to change their exams so that old exams can not be used to study the exact questions. You did not cheat. You may move past this.

Even if my colleague received the exam illegitimately? Which I guess I’d have no way to prove that actually happened. I eventually heard he knows that copies of the exams are out there but still uses the same exam each semester which makes no sense.
I understand that you're feeling anxious and vulnerable, but residents who are unteachable get fired from residency. I'm beginning to think that you're either unteachable, or trolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.