should I worry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Student247

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question which I hope someone can help me with. I can't decide where to do my undergrad. I was accepted to UCI for fall, 02, as a philosophy major. It unfortunate for me but I wasn't accepted in to science dept for lack of lower division courses. I also have the opportunity to go the Cleveland Chiropractic college where they offer a fully accredited B.S. in human biology which I can do in half the time, because I will go all year round. I find this appealing because I will be that much closer to my goal, med school, and I will have aquired skills which will complement the first two years of medical school. Here is my question. Does med schools discriminate against schools? Would it be better to go to UCI even though I would be stuck doing a useless degree which I don't really care for. What to do? Please help!

regards,
student247

Members don't see this ad.

You've probably heard this advice before, but it is very important that you choose an undergrad major that you will enjoy studying. Don't lock yourself into any one major for the sake of going to med school. 3 or 4 years of college is a long time to endure a subject that you dislike or merely tolerate. Being a philosophy major won't hurt you any more than being a bio major AS LONG AS YOU PERFORM WELL IN ALL OF YOUR PREMED SCIENCE COURSES [as a side note, philosophy is not a useless major in the sense that philosophy majors tend to go on to be highly successful people in a variety of careers. This says something positive about the ability to think critically and globally]. With respect to your question, the california med schools do indeed tend to look more favorably on applicants who attend UC schools, not necessarily because the education is better, but because they are more familiar with the UC curriculum and how hard the students had to work to earn their GPAs. Anyway, I'm not sure why you feel compelled to choose a major at this point in your life. Why not just start taking your pre-med and general ed classes that UCI requires and then declare a major as you get a better feel for what you enjoy? Good luck!

Apgar,

I'm not sure how this works but I was under the impression that the genral ed classes were already done by the time you leave the community college systems? That is, I believe I already did all my gen. ed in preperation to transfer to a four year college.

Student247