Medical Should I write about potentially contentious ethical topic for challenge secondary essay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantacles

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was going to write about a time where the ethical thing to do technically violated a rule. I suppose the lesson learned would be just that; sometimes an ethical decision may be worth making even if it violates a rule. Would this be a no-no?
I think it's extremely hard to give you an answer without knowing some specifics. What was the "infraction?" What was the situation? I can see ways in which this could go very well and very badly. Were you a whistleblower? Were you just someone who stepped outside of their scope? I can't tell you anything without specifics.

Members don't see this ad.

I work in research. Generally, the rule is that you follow whatever is outlined on your protocol. I had a situation where some of my animals were in pain and needed to be euthanized immediately. The communal tools to do this were in use (CO2), and you normally need to sign up for it ahead of time. Because the animals were in pain and this needed to be done immediately, I chose an alternative method of euthanasia that was readily available. This was not approved as a method on our protocol. It sounds pretty serious, but truthfully, even if I had taken the animals to the on site vet, he would have probably suggested the same. For one thing, I worry about this because I 'technically' didn't follow protocol. For another thing, it may raise eyebrows since it involves animal euthanasia
Let me clarify that the alternative method was a method still widely used in research.
Ok, don't look this up and answer the question. What are you supposed to do when you do a variance in protocol since this is likely vertebrate animal protocol on an after the fact variance?

My general advice on any essay is that whatever you write is a fair game topic on an interview. Say you draw someone with a background in animal protocols? Are you quick enough on your feet to discuss these matters? What did you learn from this experience?

Reason why is that if you draw someone like that, they are inevitably going to ask you that question or else raise questions on background as this is an easily avoidable problem, especially given AVMA compliance specifically addressing that problem.

Basically, one way to frame the entire ethical issue is one that is an unflattering view on the PI's competency as a protocol written so strictly in this manner violates AVMA guidelines for situational use.

Now after answering it on the fly, please look it up and know them:

If you do not turn this into a question of growth that you learn from experience, I can definitely see that answer reflecting badly on the application. I think your response is only half of the necessary one. If you did not learn that an inflexible protocol is a bad idea (and a self-inflicted wound), or how to handle such a variance, or learn best practices to avoid the situation in the future, it would be a questionable whether this would be helpful. If you do choose this, you have to be able to have perspective to talk about this under stress.

I would not use this for a challenge essay. The essay is meant to reflect a personal challenge you experienced, and this was a challenge in how to euthanize an animal appropriately. It sounds like you did what was necessary to ensure that the animals were not in pain, but it sounds like your challenge was simply how to euthanize them appropriately and not anything truly pressing. I don't think this topic is great, and I don't think I'd respond to it well. Not because it's controversial, but because I don't see the challenge. Maybe you could spin it into something good, but I'm not feeling it the way you described it. Have you never had an interpersonal conflict, traumatic event, or personal difficulty that affected you? That's what I want to see in one of these essays. Probably not this.

Status
Not open for further replies.