should I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

willR

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a pre-med student just finishing my freshman year. And I'm looking for, and doing, all kinds of medical related activitys to gain some experience. And I was wondering, if the joining the coast guard reserve for a two year contract, and working for them as a emergency medical technician would be a good idea? It would only be one weekend a month, and the money would help. But do you think med school admissions would look at it as military related?
Also, I'm looking to buy some used books on pre-med advice, and studying for the MCAT. My e-mail is [email protected].

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

sup...i am in a similar situation...
premed sucks huh>>
see... i have a pretty gpa right but just found out that premed sucks..
read my other messages you'll agree with me
just become a nurse...

THe confused freshman....=P

Yes- med school may see the coast guard as "military-related" but why is that a bad thing? I trained as a combat medic in the Army (essentially an EMT - I got my national certification while in training at Fort Sam) and the feed back from my pre-med advisor, as well as various doctors I have spoken to has been nothing but great. (Though none of these people were actually on admission committees) For one thing, you are gaining valuable clinical experience and you are proving you are successful working within a team under demanding circumstances. You are also showing the maturity and commitment that Med Schools re looking for. I say if this is what you want to do, go for it. The experience will reflect well on you.