• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Should my parents help me move cross country to medical school?

Magyarzorag

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jun 21, 2019
  1. Medical Student
Its about 2 full days of driving from where I live in Houston to Lansing Michigan and my parents are insisting in driving up with me, following my Honda Accord sedan in their Honda Pilot. The main reasons they want to come with me are:

To transport my stuff. However, I don't have a lot of stuff. The only additional things I need to bring that can't fit in my car are 2 mini fridges and some clothing, maybe a printer. I can probably stuff the clothing in the to mini fridges and ship them for $50-$100, or just sell what I can't fit in my car. I don't own any furniture

Help me transport furniture from Ikea in their SUV and assemble it or use their SUV to pick up used furniture. However, I have already scouted the furniture I plan on buying. I also plan on ordering my TV online. I'm going to order my desk and mattress online, and get my dressers/bed frame from Ikea. I may scavenge craigslist or facebook for nightstands or maybe the drawers. Most things in Ikea can fit in a Honda Accord since the seats fold down. An SUV is also only $50 to rent if I need to transport more furniture. My school also has a program where ortho guys help M1s move in and assemble furniture for free and I already enlisted their help.

About the Ads

Osteosaur

I eat the whole patient
2+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2018
  1. Medical Student
If sounds like they want to help you and to be a part of this moment in your life.

Forget the $100. Do you want them to come? How is your relationship? Have they supported you up to this point you feel they've earned it even if you want to be a big kid and do it yourself?

Also, two minifridges aren't going to cut it for freezing meats etc. for real cooking. Get a real fridge.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

JSReed

10+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2011
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
Assuming you have a good relationship, just placate them. Its just their parental instincts (yes, even with adult children).

But if you have a roommate or can get an ortho resident, have them help you with the heavy furniture. Younger backs generally work better than older backs.

Reactions: 2 users

Magyarzorag

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jun 21, 2019
  1. Medical Student
No, carry everything on your back like a pack mule, you lazy bum. Then you don't even need to pay for gas.

Why would you not want them to help you if they offered???

If would cost a lot more that way. Let alone, they have to take over one week off work, and my mom is an hourly employee. The gas alone for them to drive round trip will cost $400. Add to that a week in a hotel, which will probably cost $500, wear and tear on the car, lost wages, and total cost is well over $1k for them to come. Likewise, I will probably only spend $200 or so without their help.

RangerBob

7+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2012
  1. Attending Physician
If you don’t want your parents to come that’s fine, but don’t make their decision for you. If they’re willing to spend the money that’s their decision-they’re probably very proud of you and they may think it’s worth far more than a few hundred/thousand dollars to send you off personally.

My dad helped me move for medical school. We towed a partially loaded uhaul trailer behind his pickup. We then drove back home my wife and I drove each of our cars back out.

It would’ve been cheaper to sell a number of things and just transport what we could in the back of my pickup and my wife’s car, then buy whatever remaining stuff we needed.

But my dad and I had a great time. It was one of my most memorable trips. We stopped at a lot of national parks, good places to eat. Lots of good conversation on the open road. Totally worth it, and I’d do it again in a heartbeat.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users

Osteosaur

I eat the whole patient
2+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2018
  1. Medical Student
If would cost a lot more that way. Let alone, they have to take over one week off work, and my mom is an hourly employee. The gas alone for them to drive round trip will cost $400. Add to that a week in a hotel, which will probably cost $500, wear and tear on the car, lost wages, and total cost is well over $1k for them to come. Likewise, I will probably only spend $200 or so without their help.

I understand the drive to save money. But what does anyone work and save money for if not for these moments in life? Even if it's just staying in a hotel for a night and having a nice dinner together when they move you in... it's a big thing for a parent when their kid leaves home for good. You probably won't be living under their roof ever again.

Let them decide if it's worth the lost wages.

Reactions: 1 users

GoSpursGo

Allons-y!
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2008
  1. Attending Physician
To me the only argument for them not helping you move is worrying about exposing them to COVID; under normal circumstances, it would be a no-brainer to let your parents do this, not because of the money (obviously) but because they want to spend time with you.

They're adults and can make their own decisions RE COVID.

Reactions: 4 users
D

deleted1005514

I’m married with kids so we moved cross country by ourselves, but most of my classmates had family help them move in, even the ones coming all the way from the West to East coast. Very few students moved in by themselves/with movers.

As a parent, I would want to help my kids if possible, even if it cost a lot of money and time. I would want to help them with anything they needed, take them out for a good meal, and tell them how proud I am of them one last time, and that I’m only a phone call away.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

Mass Effect

7+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2012
  1. Attending Physician

I thought you were going to live in the student lounge or whatever. Just fly in, get access to the lounge, and set up camp.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

LutGholein

5+ Year Member
May 15, 2016
4077th MASH
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Its about 2 full days of driving from where I live in Houston to Lansing Michigan and my parents are insisting in driving up with me, following my Honda Accord sedan in their Honda Pilot. The main reasons they want to come with me are:

To transport my stuff. However, I don't have a lot of stuff. The only additional things I need to bring that can't fit in my car are 2 mini fridges and some clothing, maybe a printer. I can probably stuff the clothing in the to mini fridges and ship them for $50-$100, or just sell what I can't fit in my car. I don't own any furniture

Help me transport furniture from Ikea in their SUV and assemble it or use their SUV to pick up used furniture. However, I have already scouted the furniture I plan on buying. I also plan on ordering my TV online. I'm going to order my desk and mattress online, and get my dressers/bed frame from Ikea. I may scavenge craigslist or facebook for nightstands or maybe the drawers. Most things in Ikea can fit in a Honda Accord since the seats fold down. An SUV is also only $50 to rent if I need to transport more furniture. My school also has a program where ortho guys help M1s move in and assemble furniture for free and I already enlisted their help.

I get this is suppose to be a satirical post but real talk Wayfair is awesome for budget furniture shipped to your door.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.