Should Non-Dentistry related shadowing be mentioned on the dental school application?

Sep 18, 2014
At one point in college I shadowed at a labor and delivery unit at a hospital. Should I and how/where would that be included on the ADEA AADSAS application?

jmh018

7+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I'm not sure where to include it. It's been over two years since I looked at the application but I observed a doctor in a hospital for full time for two weeks who wrote me a letter of recommendation and I included that shadowing experience in my application.

Air Force HPSP Recipient
Dental Student Class of 2017

http://dentalstudentdds.wordpress.com

trangtn

5+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2012
If you feel that it gives the schools a better glimpse of your values and your skills/assets, include it. Say, you volunteered at a clinic that has nothing to do w/ dentistry, just primary care, it shows that you have had hands-on experience with patients and you value volunteering and community service. Just evaluate if you think that experience can shed a positive light on you as an applicant.

About the Ads

StumpMT

5+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2013
Indiana
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I shadowed a physician assistant as well as a pathologist assistant before shadowing dentists. I mentioned those because I felt like it would show that I didnt just choose dentistry, and that I've explored other heath professions. I also mentioned it in my PS and listed reasons why I didn't choose that profession.

doc toothache

15+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
You are courting a new guy/gal, but you feel compelled to talk about your past love affairs.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads