Should Non-Dentistry related shadowing be mentioned on the dental school application?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by tooth.perfection, 09.24.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. tooth.perfection

tooth.perfection

At one point in college I shadowed at a labor and delivery unit at a hospital. Should I and how/where would that be included on the ADEA AADSAS application?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. jmh018

jmh018 2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I'm not sure where to include it. It's been over two years since I looked at the application but I observed a doctor in a hospital for full time for two weeks who wrote me a letter of recommendation and I included that shadowing experience in my application.

Air Force HPSP Recipient
    Dental Student Class of 2017

http://dentalstudentdds.wordpress.com

4. trangtn

trangtn 2+ Year Member

If you feel that it gives the schools a better glimpse of your values and your skills/assets, include it. Say, you volunteered at a clinic that has nothing to do w/ dentistry, just primary care, it shows that you have had hands-on experience with patients and you value volunteering and community service. Just evaluate if you think that experience can shed a positive light on you as an applicant.

5. StumpMT

StumpMT 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I shadowed a physician assistant as well as a pathologist assistant before shadowing dentists. I mentioned those because I felt like it would show that I didnt just choose dentistry, and that I've explored other heath professions. I also mentioned it in my PS and listed reasons why I didn't choose that profession.

6. doc toothache

doc toothache 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    You are courting a new guy/gal, but you feel compelled to talk about your past love affairs.

About the ads